Why does religion still exist ?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by bigarrow, May 11, 2010.

1. Wallet

Wallet

Where have I ever said that I believe the earth is 6000 years old? Personally think it's millions of years old. The Flood, in essence yes, but why would I waist my time discussing irregularities in Biblical interpretation from Classical Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek into Latin, into English into Modern English ------ with someone who dismisses the possibility that the the Bible and God as real?

I know what and in Whom I believe, and the impact that He has had on my life, and those around me that share my faith. The evidence of it is real.

Trying reading the Bible, and actually seeking God's face. It might be a life changing experience. What I say is immaterial as it's God who opens up his word for individuals to see the truth.

regards.

#21     May 12, 2010
  2. PatternRec

PatternRec Guest

I know you're posting that off the cuff but you do realize that it would apply to a theist in that they often quote the bible or other religious text rather than think for themselves.

#22     May 12, 2010
  3. I spent 50 years as a bible thumper. been there done that. then i educated myself on who wrote the bible and why and how it came about. i seem to know more about what the bible says than you do.
    if you are the type of person that needs a superstitious emotional crutch to function in the real world, more power to ya, but you cant come on a public board and spew nonsense unchallenged. what you may believe has no effect on reality.

Robert G. Ingersoll: The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it

#23     May 12, 2010
  4. I didn't have a question I posted an article and from my reading of the article the author didn't have a question either.

#24     May 12, 2010
  5. Wallet

Wallet

Sounds like your harboring some deep pain that you associate with religion, sadly most don't distinguish the difference between religion and a personal relationship with one's Creator.

Regardless of what you think about my statement, the evidence of God's power in my life is real, and anything but superstitious emotions.

You have me time wise, I've only been in the Word for about 40 years, and it becomes more validated and meaningful the more I study it. I doubt there's anything you could teach me.

Sorry, your opinions have no bearing on reality.

You sound like vhehn

#25     May 12, 2010
  6. Wallet

Wallet

Sorry, my bad.

Apologies

#26     May 12, 2010
  7. creator? you mean the greyhaired old guy in the sky who picked up a handfull of dirt and made man from it? then he decided man needed a companion so when man was sleeping he removed a rib from the man and made a woman from it? that creator?
    grow up. its all a primitive stone age myth.

"The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all of history. "Robert Heinlein

#27     May 12, 2010
  8. Wallet

Wallet

Again, Good luck with your opinions.

Regards

#28     May 12, 2010
  9. have fun with your fairy tales. i guess we are just different. i value intellectual honesty.

"It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against
    christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of
    thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which
    follows from the advance of science." [Darwin]

#29     May 12, 2010
  10. LOL Of course you don't...most who believe do not want to think about how.

#30     May 12, 2010