Why does religion still exist ?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by bigarrow, May 11, 2010.

1. I want you to understand that what follows is not meant to mock or denigrate.

I have had the same experience on mushrooms.

On mushrooms, I saw the world in an interconnected way that I had never experienced before. I saw that there was a connection between what I normally perceived to be 'inanimate' objects and sentient creatures like myself. This feelings was completely pre-intellectual. I 'felt' these things more than knew them. I felt an inner peace and happiness that I had never even come close to feeling before or since.

Mushrooms altered my brain chemistry and changed my way of perceiving the world. Before you dismiss this as a facetious jab, I truly believe that your brain chemistry is different than mine and that all believers share a type of brain chemistry. I have no doubt that you live in a world where this kind of connectedness and the understanding you claim is as real as it can be.

This does not mean it's actually real; it means it's real for you.

At any rate, none of this changes the unalterable fact that more butchery, heartache, murder, mutilation, and tragedy can be attributed to the religious than any other polity in the history of human civilization.

#101     May 13, 2010
    #102     May 13, 2010
  3. PatternRec

PatternRec Guest

Curious. Why do you think the universe is infinite? In a God created universe model, it is not possible for the universe to be infinite. (Also in a big bang model.)

I'm nitpicking. But only because of the notion that there is infinite knowledge. If the universe has a beginning, then by consequence it must have an ending. Therefore, there is only but so much to know. How much? A very, very large amount. An amount we will never truly know.

As I said, I'm nitpicking. Even though the amount of knowledge in a finite universe is finite, it doesn't spoil the thrust of what you said in that even that finite amount of knowledge is so vast it's veritably infinite.

#103     May 14, 2010