why does religion matter?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by horryclutch, Jun 6, 2007.

1. If “faith” is a prerequisite in a belief in order to see the truth of the belief, being if there were evidence there would be no need for “faith” in any particular belief.
    All supernatural beliefs require “faith” in its truth, being there is no evidence proving any particular belief.
    So it must be the “faith” itself that dictates what is true.
    Therefore every one of the worlds religions are true, being they all rely on the “faith” of the believer to see its truth. -Unknown

#21     Jun 7, 2007
  2. ToTrade

ToTrade

Read this again:

If you were to read the bible or hear a sermon and this caused you to come to faith, it is because it is a confirmation of what you already know inside. That is true faith.

#22     Jun 7, 2007
  3. All believers in all religions are convinced through their book or a sermon from their leader that only their religion is true. Why is theirs wrong and yours right. Evidence has to be the deciding factor,not faith.

"The very concept of faith is an insult to human intelligence. If you take something on faith, you are in effect saying, "I don't need evidence, facts, or logic. Evidence is worthless, facts are for ninnies, logic is nonsense. I'll believe whatever I want even if reality overwhelmingly shows that it's just not true." "

#23     Jun 7, 2007
  4. That sums it up pretty well - you believe in electricity because you were told so, not because you had felt the electric shock. I guess that's the difference between you and me. Call it whatever you want, if you don't want to call that blind faith. It's certainly not based on empirical evidence.

#24     Jun 7, 2007
  5. jem

jem

These and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation.

THE UNITED STATES SUPREME COURT
    HOLY TRINITY CHURCH v. U.S.
    143 U.S. 457, 12 S.Ct. 511, 36 L.Ed. 226
    Feb. 29, 1892

Do you realize that some states required that you were a Christian to hold office and that other required that you believe in God.

2 and 3 of part 1 of the constitution of Massachusetts, (1780:) "It is the right as well as the duty of all men in society publicly, and at stated seasons, to worship the Supreme Being, the Great Creator and Preserver of the universe. * * *

Or by article 22 of the constitution of Delaware, (1776,) which required all officers, besides an oath of allegiance, to make and subscribe the following declaration: "I, A.B., do profess [143 U.S. 457, 470] faith in God the Father, and in Jesus Christ His only Son, and in the Holy Ghost, one God, blessed for evermore; and I do acknowledge the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testament to be given by divine inspiration."

THE UNITED STATES SUPREME COURT
    HOLY TRINITY CHURCH v. U.S.
    143 U.S. 457, 12 S.Ct. 511, 36 L.Ed. 226
    Feb. 29, 1892

And before you go citing the establishment clause you should learn the history of its creation.

A majority of the states already established or supported religion. The clause was intended to prevent the U.S. adopting a Federal Religion.

#25     Jun 7, 2007
  6. Lol. When I said that the evangelicals were trying to turn back the clock, I didn't expect that they would rush to confirm my accusation.

Everything you cited was at least 100 years old. Do you think we are still living in the 19th century? Or would you rather that we should return to the 19th century?

#26     Jun 7, 2007
  7. jem

jem

no - not at all you need to learn to be more precise with your use of the language.

I corrected your "original point".

If you said that in the last 60-70 years the supreme court was dismantling our countries ties to religion I would have agreed.

if you said we are not a Christian nation (right now) I would have agreed.

But you said we never were, and that is wrong.

#27     Jun 7, 2007
  8. I am talking about our nation. You are talking about the states. I am not interested in the religious status of the states, nor are most of the voters voting for the president. I think your argument is misguided.

#28     Jun 7, 2007
  9. jem

jem

yeah sure - try and make a specious distinction now.

Nevertheless that was a supreme court case and in said this is a Christian nation.

#29     Jun 7, 2007
  10. ToTrade

ToTrade

Correct. Your understanding is that faith requires no evidence, whereas on the contrary, in order to have faith, one needs evidence. The evidence is inside you. Only you can become aware of the evidence. Without your awareness of the evidence, no amount of outer arguments will make any difference.

I agree. One would have to be a pretty sorry human being to accept anything as true without evidence. You have some misconceptions on this subject.

#30     Jun 7, 2007