Why does Interactive Brokers not trade Crude Oil Options

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by seldin, Jan 11, 2007.

1. seldin

seldin

My strategies use Futures and Options. Interactive Broker usually trades Globex and other Electronic Futures.

However, for some reason, IB does not trade Crude Oil Future Options or e-mini Crude Oil Futures Options.

Does anybody know why?

Is there any other symbols for Crude Oil Options I can trade with IB.

I did contact their help line and they did not know the answer and would not find out why.

Thanks much,

larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net

2. new$

new$

crude options are nymex open outcry-no electronic trades.
    they like it like that- :D
    ice has some but thin.

3. seldin

seldin

New$,

What about QM. They are the mini Futures and also there is QM options. IB (trades the futures but not the futures options). I would think IB could trade them because they are electronic?

Could you please tell me about ICE?

Thank you.

larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net

4. new$

new$

5. seldin

seldin

6. new$

new$

seldin
    are you sure qm options are traded electronicly??
    if so tell me about them- which exchange/brokerage.
    thanks
    :cool:

7. Maverick74

Maverick74

NYMEX will be offering electronic crude and nat gas options this quarter on the screen. Everyone will have access to them.

8. artis74

artis74

the screen will take time to become viable for options depending on the platform and the structure. Will is be RFQ's, strips ect?

9. contango

contango

Reason options have remained largely OTC is because the market doesn't do vanilla... Can you price me an Asian (average price) option for front month pricing 6th month Brent? Typical model for pricing APO options is Turnbull-Wakeman and not Black i.e. time to expiry is variable. Why would the big guys want to support the development of a vanilla options market just to see retail come in and smooth out volatility?

10. seldin

seldin

New$,

From what I have observed with IB as my broker. IB usually trades options on all of their minis. That's why I asked about this. When I brought this up to IB. They did not have an answer for me.

I am not sure if there are electronic minis on options. I do know that QM futures are electronic, or IB would not trade them.

So the answer is I don't know for sure. I just want to trade Crude Oil Futures along with options for my own use.

- larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net

#10     Jan 15, 2007