Why does Interactive Brokers have such an enormously hard time filling market orders

Discussion in 'Options' started by frontyard, Feb 12, 2019.

1. frontyard

frontyard

These days, why does Interactive Brokers have such an enormously hard time filling MARKET orders of VERY heavily traded options in US markets? Is IBKR going rapidly downhill?

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

Why don't use limit orders that hit the bid/lift the offer?

murray t turtle, d08 and Proptrader23 like this.
  3. frontyard

frontyard

Same story with limit orders. Right now SPY is at 274.28. I have reduced my limit buy to 273 as I need to leave home now but IBKR still isn't filling.

4. zdreg

zdreg

with six posts you are already an expert on order fills and the condition of a major trading firm.
    follow your insight and short the stock.

murray t turtle and tommcginnis like this.
  5. ZBZB

ZBZB

Try routing orders to individual exchanges instead of using smart routing. There is a column in option trader that tells you which exchange is on the bid/ask. Right click at the column headers and configure.

6. ???

If your buy limit is below the current price, how can you expect a quick fill? Or is there something I'm missing?

7. ZBZB

ZBZB

Well spotted!

tommcginnis likes this.
  8. I agree. It has been a downhill story with IBKR for me too. TOS and Tradehawk seem to have better executions.

frontyard likes this.
  9. ET180

ET180

I haven't noticed any execution problems with limit orders. I usually place my orders as limit inside the bid - ask spread so can't comment on market orders.

10. frontyard

frontyard

Ooops. I meant 275. They filled it ecentually. But it was frustratingf.

#10     Feb 12, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.