Why does God allow...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Well said. That's why I try to always keep an open mind, in spite of those who tell me it is silly to do so.

#51     Oct 24, 2011
  2. Yes, if we ask to be cured, it should be cured....as long as you dont have a group of millions of people 15,000 miles away praying for your death while facing Mecca, 5 times per day.

Remind me...how many times per day do Americans pray?

#52     Oct 24, 2011
  3. even still education and science is making progress:

Throughout history, God has been shrinking. The time when the world was small and God was in control is always in the far distant, half-remembered past. The closer we approach to the present, the less common miracles are and the less accessible he becomes, until the present day when divine activity has dwindled until it is indistinguishable from the nonexistent. Where the Bible tells us God once shaped worlds out of the void and parted great seas with the power of his word, today his most impressive acts seem to be shaping sticky buns into the likenesses of saints and conferring vaguely-defined warm feelings on his believers' hearts when they attend church.

#53     Oct 24, 2011
  4. I tend to think the idea of what God is is changing. There is certainly no shortage of people who believe in a supreme being of one for or another. What is definitely shrinking is the role of the church.

#54     Oct 24, 2011
  5. this should be an easy thing to test with computers capable of statistics. what do you think happens if we compare the health outcomes of those who are very religious and those who never pray?
    hint. its been done.

#55     Oct 24, 2011
  6. Why only religious people? Why not add spiritual people to the mix as well:

An 83-year-old Indian holy man who says he has spent seven decades without food or water has astounded a team of military doctors who studied him during a two-week observation period. Prahlad Jani spent a fortnight in a hospital in the western India state of Gujarat under constant surveillance from a team of 30 medics equipped with cameras and closed circuit television. During the period, he neither ate nor drank and did not go to the toilet. “We still do not know how he survives,” neurologist Sudhir Shah told reporters after the end of the experiment. “It is still a mystery what kind of phenomenon this is.”

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/se...gi-allegedly-survives-without-food-and-water/

#56     Oct 24, 2011
  7. life is much easier if you are not superstitious. if you understand how the human body works its easy to quickly come to the conclusion that something like this is bs and allows you to go straight to looking for the mechanics behind the scam.
    what is lacking in the critical thinking ability of someone who would fall for a story like this?
    when you investigate things like this you will find that they are all in far away places out of view of a tv camera. wonder why? bring him here and lock him in a room and see how long he lasts without water.

#57     Oct 24, 2011
  8. Did you read the article? He has been observed on two separate occasions by real life scientific doctor type people (for 6 days). He took in no food or water and yet he survived. Not only that, he suffered no apparent ill effects. While I remain skeptical I don't discount it out of hand because it contradicts my personal beliefs.

Now, let's contrast that with what you did. You saw the first few words and immediately assumed it was a scam; because it doesn't fit into your personal paradigm. Far as I know this yogi has made no money off this so who is he scamming and for what possible reason?

If you truly believe we have discovered all there is to discover about humanity and what we are capable of then more power to you. I'll continue to keep an open mind and think freely, as it were.

#58     Oct 24, 2011
  9. Couldnt tell you....but I do know that almost 1 million americans die every year from prescriptions. How many have died from praying and not taking prescriptions? Less than 10 per year.

http://www.naturalnews.com/009278.html

#59     Oct 24, 2011
  10. this is what education does to you. it gives you ground to stand on in the face of bs.

#60     Oct 24, 2011