Why does God allow...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Can you imagine the ignorance of someone who misconstrues what another person states? I never asked for proof because I know you cannot prove a negative. I stated that you could not disprove it. I did not ask you to disprove it. Subtle difference but try to work on your reading comprehension.

#41     Oct 24, 2011
  2. this was never collected. wonder why?
    Written by JREF Staff
    Thursday, 30 October 2008 12:10

The Foundation is committed to providing reliable information about paranormal claims. It both supports and conducts original research into such claims.

At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant.

#42     Oct 24, 2011
  3. What exactly do you think this proves?

#43     Oct 24, 2011
  4. it proves that your evidence for esp rather lacking if none had the ability to collect an easy million dollars. of course an open minded person like yourself will rationalize it somehow.

#44     Oct 24, 2011
  5. I think you are unclear what the word "prove" means. You've cited one example of one organization putting out this "challenge". That no one has successfully completed it proves only that a real psychic has not yet answered the challenge. I would postulate that a true psychic, if one exists (and I believe that is possible) is probably tortured and would not be in it for the money. However, that is only an opinion.

#45     Oct 24, 2011
  6. Eight

Eight

God gives you a book, you don't understand it very well, you throw it on the heap with lots of other stuff, call it all myth and then everybody is happy because they don't have to be responsible!! How cool are you!!

#46     Oct 24, 2011
  7. +1

Not a believer myself, but if the Christian God granted Free Will and intelligence divine intervention would make those gifts meaningless. An all powerful God would have to resist any temptation to solve our problems, especially the ones we bring on ourselves.

Same goes for 'Why doesn't God reveal himself?' - if God revealed himself every time we had doubts we wouldn't honor God out of free will and wit; we'd all be responding like animals to a Pavlovian stimulus.

Conversely, though, God should respect those who, as a result of exercising their free will and wits, have concluded that there is no God.

#47     Oct 24, 2011
  8. I understand it just fine. I just don't see God in those pages.

#48     Oct 24, 2011
  9. so then was god just lying when he promised many times in the bible to help people?

This is very odd. Jesus makes specific promises in the Bible about how prayer is supposed to work. Jesus says in many different places that he and God will answer your prayers. And Christians believe Jesus -- according to this recent article, "54% of American adults believe the Bible is literally true." In some areas of the country the number goes as high as 75%.

If the Bible is literally true, then something is seriously amiss. Simply look at the facts. In Matthew 7:7 Jesus says:

Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!
    If "every one who asks receives", then if we ask for cancer to be cured, it should be cured. Right? If "our Father who is in heaven gives good things to those who ask him", then if we ask him to cure cancer, he should cure it. Right? And yet nothing happens.
    In Matthew 17:20 Jesus says:

For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.
    If "nothing will be impossible to you", then if we ask to cure cancer tonight, cancer should disappear. Right? Yet nothing happens. Note that if we take the Bible less-than-literally here, the statement "nothing will be impossible to you" becomes "lots of things will be impossible to you," and that would mean that Jesus is lying.
    In Matthew 21:21:

I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.
    If "you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer", then if we ask to cure cancer tonight, cancer should dissappear. Right? Yet nothing happens. Note again that there is not a non-literal way to interpret "you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer", unless you replace "whatever" with "nothing" or "little."
    The message is reiterated Mark 11:24:

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
    If God says, "believe that you have received it, and it will be yours," and if we believe in God and his power, then what should happen if we pray to cure cancer tonight? It should be cured. Either that, or God is lying.
    In John chapter 14, verses 12 through 14, Jesus tells all of us just how easy prayer can be:

"I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." [ref]

#49     Oct 24, 2011
  10. God is in everything, or nothing at all. Everything that is, is the result of some cosmic accident, or it is by design. Either possibility should give one pause, as both are quite astonishing. Pick your poison, but to say that one or the other requires something other than faith is simply ludicrous.

#50     Oct 24, 2011