Why does CL move up/down immediately after I sell/buy?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by trader07, Jun 5, 2007.

1. (1) You can't expect a high-priced and volatile market to sit still. (2) There might be a "flipper" in the crude oil who will "sweep the screen" for ~5 cents at a time and hope to lighten up his position if there are a lot of orders that coat-tail onto his activity. It's not manipulation. It's assertive and aggressive trading.

#11     Jun 5, 2007
  2. Good reply Jango! I especially like "those little 2-3 point flutters". They seem to happen all the time (jumps I call them, you call them flutters). I like the whole post...

#12     Jun 5, 2007
  3. But...

1) This happens almost every time I enter a buy/sell.
    2) How can they move the bid/ask so much? They see my order and as a group immediately move the bid/ask down (up)? I assume there are other players involved who still have their bids just below my limit order (which was executed at the ask).

#13     Jun 5, 2007
  4. Thanks. I usually call them "burps", but "flutters" seemed a little clearer.

Today is the kind of day one could get f****d on the end of day volatility. I might stand aside and call it a day.

Any calls as to whether the 2:00 break will be up or down (above 85, below 25)?

#14     Jun 5, 2007
  5. I'm thinking down, near the lows today. But like you said, very volatile market--anything can happen.

#15     Jun 5, 2007
  6. PJKIII

PJKIII

I say up....

#16     Jun 5, 2007
  7. the answer is probably not only that it immediately goes 2-5 ticks against you, but it also immediately goes 2-5 ticks in your favor that you are ignoring. No one is watching you, and you are not a perfect fade, so the only explanation is that the market (yes, oil market with 1 cent ticks is a sloppy market) jumps around by nickles all the time. You may only notice the nickles that go against you.

#17     Jun 5, 2007
  8. So you're the one trading against me!

:D

#18     Jun 5, 2007
  9. Yes, you are probably right. I guess I am just a natural cynic and when I see markets behave suspicious on me I question them. Thanks.

#19     Jun 5, 2007