why doe IB's TWS eat up an extra 200 meg during the day

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by stock777, Jan 9, 2007.

1. I've got Build 865.7 and it runs fine. Machine has 1 gig of memory.

#21     Jan 17, 2007
  2. I thought that minimizing fixed the freezing, but only certain tickers kept moving, others did not, despite exchange feed. My euro was moving ok, but my cad wasn't updating -- scary stuff, never seen that before.

#22     Jan 17, 2007
  3. I have the same tickers in IB paired with eSignal so I know they're moving correctly, although there are the occaisional price discrepancies between the two.

#23     Jan 17, 2007
  4. Yeah if it wasn't for my other feed, I would have sat there for 10 minutes and not realized it wasn't adjusting (cad can be slow sometimes).

I can't get the problem to repeat, so might have been just a fluke.

#24     Jan 17, 2007
  5. I'm happy for you , but I upgraded a year ago and am in no mood to do it again.

I could add a gig of ram, to the existing gig but that would be a band aid on what looks like
    a memory leak. And its not the memory I'm worried about, the TWS stops responding well.

I'll try to work with IB as they requested to figure out what the issue is.

Oh yeah, If I reformatted and reinstalled every time there was a problem like this, I'd have done so about 200 times over the last 20 years instead of the NONE times I did that.

#25     Jan 17, 2007
  6. Just to update, this specific incident of certain tickers running while others stayed stuck seems to be related to my broadband connection hiccuping and tws reconnecting -- a restart of tws now seems necessary after disconnect.

#26     Jan 17, 2007
  7. I'm glad you're happy for me ... but if you don't want to spend $100 for another gig did you try either of these suggestions for taming the expansion.

#27     Jan 17, 2007
  8. volumes seem totally wacked on the new built, stays normal 'till u refresh then bars shoot up.

nq shows avg volume for every 5min bar at 750k.

dunno if it is just me.

#28     Jan 17, 2007
  9. The real solution is use a separate vendor for charts.

#29     Jan 17, 2007
  10. Then one possibility is that another program is conflicting with TWS. Sometimes this can be pinned down by remembering what programs may have been installed around the time the problem started.

I would try an uninstall/reinstall of TWS first. Then try and uninstall the last several programs (or the ones that you may remember installing around the time the problem started) that were put on the machine.

Otherwise, worst case, you format the drive, do a clean OS install and start reinstalling the most important programs only. In my case it would be TWS, Firefox and Thunderbird. Then add the other programs in order of importance. If the glitch reappears you have the source of the problem.

#30     Jan 17, 2007