Why do you come to ET?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NoMoreOptions, Oct 9, 2003.

1. To get that idea it "required" that I post more than 11000 messages in nttp french newsgroup fr.misc.finance at least according to google research on my pseudo - my pseudo was then laplace like the Statistician, it was because the street where I have been living was laplace not because I had special admiration for him :) - :
    http://groups.google.com/groups?ie=...nce&as_uauthors=laplace@worldnet.fr&lr=&hl=fr

Of course it is 11000 messages in 4 or 5 years but at that time there was no ADSL in my town so I had big phone bill of 2000$ every two months. Of course I wasn't connected for the forum itself but for professional or trading reason.

In fact I exagerate when I said that I got my idea by opposing an idiot idea on a forum, I had already that kind of idea before but it is by discussing with idiots that it renforced it and motivated me to turn it into a concrete model :D.

#21     Oct 10, 2003
  2. smknbul

smknbul

:) Because.. I luv the markets with a passion that won't allow me to focus on much else, although I am in learning stages I anticipate growth.. I need the input of those that find a need to trade or that are also in early, intermmediate or later stages of learning. I live in a fairly remote area and have no peers-some even become envious of those that strive to succeed. Feel free to mail me about any market interests, lets rally.

#22     Oct 12, 2003
  3. prophet

prophet

There are plenty of profitable, large size traders that read ET but don’t post. I know some that have been to ET and were turned off by the negative attitudes and lack of quality discussion. A lot have left ET lately. Some have never even been to ET for lack of time or interest.

This has been my experience lately. I try to share ideas that have taken me three years of testing and honing. I try to start a discussion on new ideas. I get very little response, and never a discussion, even though the ideas I am presenting are highly profitable and robust. Sometimes the response is “it’s too complex” or I’m making it up, overfitting, or some knee-jerk response. I’m here to discuss and learn not just give out free information. Soon I may be gone too.

#23     Oct 12, 2003

4. why would you care whether others reply or engage in a discussion...

if you got a good gig... then ride it yourself, and profit from it and then look around you... there are plenty of other places to do good deeds, and contribute to the world, oustide ET! Write a book or an article, etc.etc. then you won't resent "giving out free information"!

LOL

But many people might have read your stuff anonymously... and benefited. but then did not "bother" to thank you online. Isn't that the essence of a good deed; to... NOT.... look for credit in return? :eek:

regards bro

ICe
    :cool:

p.s. I disagree that there is "lack of quality" discussion on ET. I think it is one of the best sites/communities on the Net!

#24     Oct 12, 2003
  5. To make sure I am doing the EXACT opposite from what most of the others are doing!!! :eek:

#25     Oct 12, 2003
  6. This works great!!! :D

#26     Oct 12, 2003
  7. ...maintenent je comprends. Vous etes un vrai "trou noir" des idees. Vous acceptez tout, vous ne donnez rien! Bon weekend.

#27     Oct 12, 2003
  8. Visiting ET is like sifting in a river for gold. You have to spend a lot of time in the cold dirty water, but with some very hard work you can eventually find some GOLD. :)

#28     Oct 12, 2003
  9. Ebo

Ebo

Chris:

I could not have said it more eloquently......
    ........and that water gets cold!

ebo

#29     Oct 12, 2003
  10. prophet

prophet

Quote from iceman1:

why would you care whether others reply or engage in a discussion...

Because I came here to learn, discuss, give and receive constructive criticism. I hoped to find others who feel the same way.

if you got a good gig... then ride it yourself, and profit from it and then look around you... there are plenty of other places to do good deeds, and contribute to the world, oustide ET! Write a book or an article, etc.etc. then you won't resent "giving out free information"!

You miss the whole point. This has nothing to do with doing good deeds. I never said I resented giving out information. If that was the case I would have stopped posting long ago.

Of course I profit from my ideas. That's also not the point here.

But many people might have read your stuff anonymously... and benefited. but then did not "bother" to thank you online.

This should be obvious to everyone. It is to me. I read and learned from ET for over a year before posting.

Isn't that the essence of a good deed; to... NOT.... look for credit in return? :eek:

I’m not looking for credit, not looking for praise. Simply looking for a quality discussion. I have no problem being criticized. Not looking to inflate my ego either.

p.s. I disagree that there is "lack of quality" discussion on ET. I think it is one of the best sites/communities on the Net!

The quality has indeed been phenomenal at times. Furthermore I’ve had excellent private communication with other ET members.

I simply see a lack of discussion for certain deep topics, even though these topics speak volumes about the markets. There ought to be forums on ET just for those who wish to share and learn, and other forums for those who aren’t serious in their discussion, or seek entertainment from it.

#30     Oct 12, 2003