Why do you care so much about having an "edge?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jonbig04, Aug 3, 2008.

1. I find it ironic a market affected by psychological supports and movements can be so blatantly disregarded by their own psychological arrogance. Irony?

Maybe i'm too much of a behaviorist :mad:

#71     Aug 10, 2008
  2. Great post. Very true. Period.

#72     Aug 10, 2008
  3. Excellent point.
    They think they have an edge then develop the mental edge to stick through it thick and thin, then before you know it, the account's blown. And the market infrastructure thanks you for your contribution.

So for my own benefit:
    GET AN EDGE!
    YOU NEED ONE!
    STICK WITH IT!

#73     Aug 10, 2008
  4. No one here with a record on their profile, but me. It takes awhile to get one, and it's worth money when you got it. I never got "edge" out of anything. I have strategy. A little bit different.

#74     Aug 10, 2008
  5. kut2k2

kut2k2

I totally agree with this post:

It's obvious that a lot of the posters in this thread have no freaking clue what an edge is, but that hasn't stopped them from spouting off with noise that may make sense to them but is just so much monkey chatter to the rest of us.

So for the screeching monkey brigade, here's a little Edge 101, because I'm bored and have nothing better to do:

Edge is just another word for "positive expectation". Positive Expectation is something you either have or don't have. And if you don't have it, all the best money management and especially all the psychobabble in the world won't save your sorry ass, or your sorry-ass trading account.

You might get lucky without an edge; people do get lucky everyday in Las Vegas and Atlantic City. And sooner or later, some schmuck has to win the super-lotto jackpot.

But that's not an edge, that's just dumb luck. And you know it's dumb luck because for every winner, there's at least a thousand losers who were DOING THE EXACT SAME THING AS THE WINNER.

There aren't a thousand losers with positive expectation for every winning trader, there are just a thousand losers who got tricked into thinking they had a winning strategy.

And like the man (Jack Schwager) said, if you don't know your edge, you don't have one.

#75     Aug 10, 2008
  6. Monkey Chatter is a pretty good way to describe it. I was going to type what you typed, but just didn't want to haha.

#76     Aug 10, 2008
  7. Johno

Johno

There's a saying that goes something like this -

The one who starts with certainty will end with only questions.
    And, the one who begins with only questions will end with certainty!

Arrogance is a good indicator of where a No Eyed-Deer is probably lurking! Simply, because they don't show even a basic understanding and control of their weakness, and so try to hide behind bullying and abuse! If they can't first understand themselves how can they possibly understand anything else! On that note I'll leave you with another thought -"Self praise is no recommendation."

Regards

Johno

#77     Aug 10, 2008
  8. xtoronto

xtoronto

good post..

#78     Aug 10, 2008
  9. ptolemy

ptolemy

Psychology vs the Edge:confused:

I look for value by rotating sectors that are in or out of favor. I trade only long in Bear or Bull Markets. My Edge is a good scaning sofware "Telechart" (no spam). I was trading oil and precious metals when they were in favor and now I am trading Healthcare, Long distance Carriers and Bio-tech. I use weekly charts to stay in my positions and the daily for my exit and entry. I guess you could say that I am a trend investor because although I dable lightly in some day trading I like to hold my positions until I see weekness in first the sector on a weekly chart and then ultimately in my positions.

Psychology plays a part in every thought we have and in every decision we make. So to say that there is no place for it in the world of trading is just not true. Is my style of trading an edge? I am not sure, I always thought that an edge was somthing that you had that no one else did. I am sure that there are plenty of traders doing what I do, and maybe even better. I am successfull and a full time trader, but not quit worren Buffet if you know what I mean.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you have to know who you are, find a trading "Edge" that fits your personality, apply comon sense risk and trade management. Learn proper portfolio managment (allocation or share size) and be of a sound psychological mind. A fine ballance of all these things and years of practice will yield results.

These are just my observations.

#79     Aug 11, 2008
  10. No

#80     Aug 11, 2008