Why do traders talk about TA as if it is physics ?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by traderwald, Nov 10, 2020.

1. ph1l

ph1l

"Decoding the Hidden Market Rhythm Part 2: Metonic Cycles," by Lars von Thienen has

#71     Nov 19, 2020
  2. %%
    Some chart patterns are like creation + birds +rockets/\ / LOL:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    And trends do tend not to end, friend;
    except on the yearsend or a rare weekend,or past the dividend..................................................................................................Its sure not rocket science:caution::caution::caution::caution::caution::caution::caution:

#72     Feb 10, 2021
  3. smaragio

smaragio

I saw my name come up in this thread. I would love to have a civil conversation about the "physics" of trading. What I believe we are really talking about is the characteristics or the nature of the underlying data. I could make the case that nature of the data helps to dictate which behaviors are profitable and which are not. A good primer to start with would be a study of kurtotic (fat tail) distribution of the price data and prospect theory in traders.

#73     Apr 21, 2022
  4. Overnight

Overnight

Since this is your first post, and you say you saw your name come up in the thread, then you are either a current user who changed nicks or are an author of one of the books posted throughout?

Which is it?

#74     Apr 21, 2022
    murray t turtle likes this.
  5. smaragio

smaragio

Neither. The thread came up in a google search and I saw my name mentioned. I signed up and decided to join the conversation. The mechanics of trading is something I want to hear other traders opinions on.

#75     Apr 21, 2022
  6. %%
    I seldom if ever put a gender on cars, but may have done so briefly in the past :D:D
    I never have said '' this rally has legs'', but since your comment is time stamped NOV 2020, cant argue with that:D:D:D:D:D,:caution::caution:
    I sure have used that expression ''going to the moon'' for a good uptrend/great uptrend; but never used the expression \that uptrend will arrive on the moon. Cant predict markets.

#76     Apr 21, 2022
  7. panzerman

panzerman

The perfect indicator. 100% accurate from 1 day ago.

price[0]-2*price[1]+price[2]

This creates an oscillator that has perfect timing 1 day ago. It's called an MTI (moving target indicator) filter in the world of radar technology. If somebody can figure out how to get rid of the 1 day of group delay (ie lag), all the money will flow to you, and you can take over the world.

edit: positive values are a buy, and negative values are a sell.

#77     Apr 21, 2022
  8. Sprout

Sprout

price[0]-2*price[1]+price[2]

price[n]-2*price[n-1]+price[n-2]

price[n]-2*price[n+1]+price[n+2]

:D

#78     Apr 21, 2022
  9. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

All that matters is price action and trade management.

Crushed uvxy today,, zero ta used. :D

#79     Apr 21, 2022
    SimpleMeLike and comagnum like this.
  10. SunTrader

SunTrader

Geometry, not physics, and no those aren't plotted randomly and were in advance of today's NQ/Globex open (last night):-
    ! NQ.png

#80     Apr 21, 2022
    Poljot and comagnum like this.