Why do traders talk about TA as if it is physics ?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by traderwald, Nov 10, 2020.

1. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

TA is valuable, risk management is essential. Use a driving analogy, driving at night: TA = headlights, risk/trade management = gas pedal and brakes. Both are important.

#31     Nov 10, 2020
    comagnum likes this.
  2. Thanks speedo for sharing this knowledge. I never knew this team of great traders use the same timeframe I use.

I see why I keep losing now. lol

#32     Nov 10, 2020
    Turveyd likes this.
  3. TimMykes

TimMykes

How do you know it not just a cover story for something else ?
    you don't

and even if not, it might be a pattern that no one here in 10 million years would figure out

#33     Nov 10, 2020
  4. Since there are billions of possible combinations of indicators, levels, definitions of supply/demand/resistance/support, and every other type of voodoo, those "millions" are all trading different things. So, no, TA does not have any kind of relevance - at least not via this tired argument.

#34     Nov 10, 2020
    themickey likes this.
  5. themickey

themickey

The more there become 'intelligent / informed / savvy' traders, the more mkts become efficient which means it gets more difficult to maintain an edge, which agreed, means LESS relevance TA becomes. :)

#35     Nov 10, 2020
  6. That was in the past, before everyone and their uncle had analytics that were millions of times more powerful than anything Renaissance had back then. Given enough assets, any actual repeatable pattern can be detected and then trivially arbitraged into non-existence.

#36     Nov 10, 2020
  7. Sprout

Sprout

I dunno, black hole seems to describe a lot of beginners experience with intraday trading the markets. You can kinda tell via the projected anger and frustration that radiates from them (absence of light)

#37     Nov 10, 2020
  8. themickey

themickey

There will always be an over abundance of fresh meat in the mkts.
    The more TA loyalists the better.
    The mkts are skewed toward the uneducated due to the difficulty of getting good mentorship.
    So the reality, mkts will always be inefficient and offer opportunities.

#38     Nov 10, 2020
    Snuskpelle and KCalhoun like this.
  9. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

It's useful to know TA so at a minimum you know basic patterns the peanut gallery is using, so that you can trade ahead of, or arb the crowd.

eg cups, s/r levels, whole numbers, 50/100/200 SMAs etc

Trading using basic common technical analysis = epic fail and false breakouts.

As I've said for 20 years presenting at Moneyshow events....

"The MATH is a lot more important than the chart patterns."

#39     Nov 10, 2020
  10. speedo

speedo

ET lol

#40     Nov 10, 2020
    vanzandt and Snuskpelle like this.