Why do traders need more than 1 monitor??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Flashboy, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Diode

Diode

I imagine you have no clocks or calendars on your office walls, no papers on your desk - actually, who needs a desk? - no TV to follow news... and you hit ALT-TAB real often.

#21     May 15, 2004
  2. I find the shorter the time frame you trade the more likely you will need more real estate to scan for stocks that meet your criteria. I trade futures and need only two. Longer term traders that swing or core trade for days, weeks or months could probably get by with one. The more screens there are, the more you can spread out the charts, enlarge everything. Just a thought.

island0004
    :cool:

#22     May 15, 2004
  3. Because they want to look like traders :)

#23     May 15, 2004
  4. EIGHT 19' MONITORS BLAZIN HERE ..

:cool:

#24     May 15, 2004
  5. copa8

copa8

one 10' monochrome :D

#25     May 15, 2004
  6. Mecro

Mecro

Thats a good set-up.

I have:

1st: 4 charts- 1min, 10min, daily for the stock Im looking and S&P 10 min

2nd: my order entry boxes, position/p&l box, T&S, Open Book, 3 filters and a favorties watchlist

3rd: Instant messenger windows and briefing. I think Im gonna change that Nasdaq charts and Market Maker windows to trade Naz.

I would add a 4th just for the briefing webpages and IMs. I do not think it matters at all how many monitors you have as far as you are comfortable. Some people trade in such a way that even half a monitor would be sufficient.

#26     May 15, 2004
  7. GSCO

GSCO

one monitor for execution
    one for analytics

#27     May 15, 2004
  8. mkaay

mkaay

You are all talking about having a chat window open. What websites or channels (if Mirc) are you guys referring to?

#28     May 16, 2004
  9. nitro

nitro

I just go into the EliteTrader chat, to do just that - "chat" - to relieve the stress of trading alone all day.

nitro

#29     May 16, 2004
  10. Luto

Luto

My standard desktop has two monitors. Regardless of if it is used for trading. Just makes sense because most apps will interoperate and most apps are designed for one window.

As for Trading, I use two for technicals and one laptop for order entry. When I travel I take the laptop hence it is already configured. Then I take a second laptop with an LCD on the side.

Daytrading here so I need multiple time frames.

Cheers

#30     May 17, 2004