Why do traders need more than 1 monitor??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Flashboy, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Digs

Digs

12 monitors....

Cause I am a freak !

#11     Jun 29, 2003
  2. omcate

omcate

I only trade with a laptop. So I am stuck with at least one LCD screen. I tried very hard in the last six months, but I still cannot find a notebook with zero TFT screen.

:p :p :p
    :D :D :D

#12     Jun 30, 2003
  3. "Why fly a kite when you can pop a pill?"

Kosmo Kramer

#13     Jun 30, 2003
  4. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

I began trading with one monitor, tried two monitors, and I'm back to one monitor. If I was successful with one monitor, what are 2,3 ro 4 monitors going to do. Yes, can see much more, however, I believe the more you look at the less you see. With that said, I must now minimize ET so I can go back to trading :)

#14     Jun 30, 2003
  5. 4 monitors?! How many eyes do you have?
    We only need 1 - one - monitor.

#15     May 15, 2004
  6. Does that mean you only have one eye? :D

IMO it depends what kind of trading you do and how fast you have to respond. Also how good your eyes are. My day trading is based on 5 and 1 minute bars and I trade euro futures only at present. But I also have a 30 min system running on 3 different index spreads.

I run one monitor with charts on it - 5min euro and 1min euro only so I can focus. 30min euro is in the background if I need a big picture. The other one has Ninja trader, a chat application, and a spreadsheet and a tabbed browser with order entry for another system. I would like to add a third to make it easier to trade HSI on the same timescale as Euro (at the moment it is hidden most of the time with an alarm indicating when I should take a close look).

I notice that my diary is still sitting beside the keyboard on paper (third screen?)

Personally after starting computing with 25 line screens in the 80s I finally found that computers reached the information presenting power of paper when I could have two 1280x1024 screens. Great. When I get to three it will be even better :)

#16     May 15, 2004
  7. I currently use three monitors & three computers. One for my trading platform (TT), one for charts (CQG), and one for news (Bloomberg Pro). I really need to add a fourth so that I don't have to cover up my trading platform while I use the internet.

#17     May 15, 2004
  8. ms_9901

ms_9901

I currently use two monitors and will soon have three. Its nice to have the news, charts, and trading platform in view. But the real reason and this is a trade secret is to watch the screensavers.

#18     May 15, 2004
  9. Cutten

Cutten

I have 6 monitors, flat panel to save space. 2x19" for trading order entry - allows me to have 9 market depth windows up at any one time, and still have my orders, position, P&L, other markets overview, and announcements windows up at the same time.

4x17" monitors for my data provider. I use one monitor for news, trading calendar, quotes for the major markets, and 4 intraday charts. I use another monitor for 6 intraday charts. 3rd monitor is for quote boards so I can see the current price, open, high and low for all the main futures and forex markets, along with a short and long-term graph so I can quickly drag any market into it and see a price chart to give me the long-term perspective. 4th monitor is where I place quotes for stocks and worldwide stock indices I follow, and where I place my "trade shortlist" and "open positions" windows. I also use the 3rd or 4th monitor to enter orders via the internet e.g. IB.

Even with this screen space, I find myself flipping between windows. Ideally I would have 8 or even 10 monitors for intraday trading. Obviously for long-term stuff or just trading one market intraday this is overkill, 1 monitor is ok for that.

#19     May 15, 2004
  10. nitro

nitro

Monitor 1 - dedicated to monitoring multiple systems running simulatenously in realtime on multiple futures. Research.

Monitor 2 - Currently, Tradestation research machine monitoring 3 systems in realtime.

Monitor 3 - Chatroom

Monitor 4-5-6 Requied by prop firm. One monitor used for entries and opportunities, second for Realtick, third for managing exits

Monitor 7 - Interactive Brokers account plus market depth windows

nitro

#20     May 15, 2004