Why do traders fail: some random thoughts

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by 4DTrader, Dec 23, 2007.

1. VTI0990

VTI0990

Come on, someone has to understand.

#41     Jan 8, 2008
  2. I guess he meant you need to do homework. But different people have different interpretations.

OK, from the beginning, I mentioned I was going to focus on two behaviors: cut loss short and let profits run. I have explained that occasional to frequent rewards maintain the opposite behavior, which is to watch your loss widen. Human beings are living organisms and follow the same principles of positive reinforcement and negative reinforcement. Traders are no exceptions. If our bad behavior is rewarded, we will continue. Now you know why people rob a bank, because they get away with loads of money, immediately=they are rewarded. Will they do it again? You bet.

I use the word "immediately" because there is a delayed unpleasant outcome of a certain probability, and that is being caught by cops and sent to jail. In the mind of a bank robber, the delayed unpleasant outcome of jail time has less weight than the instant gratification of getting thousands of dollars. That leads to a trader's bad behavior: take profits too early.

Between instant gratification and delayed gratification of bigger magnitude, traders usually choose the former. In everyday language, we say "1 bird in hand is better than 3 birds in the bush." Many studies have been done on this topic and the results are the same: people choose something that is guaranteed, rather than something that they are not sure of, even though the latter is bigger/better.

If you see your trade goes in your direction, the temptation of taking profits is huge, especially a little pullback shows up. You certainly don't want to lose the bird in your hand, do you?

#42     Jan 12, 2008
  3. I just want to add some more points:

1. Don't overtrade!

2. The trend is your friend

3. Keep your trade simple

4. Don't trade when you are not in your state of mind

Those are just simple facts that traders tend to forget..

#43     Feb 12, 2008
  4. The market ALWAYS gives you what you deserve.

#44     Feb 12, 2008
  5. a good trader fails for one reason and one reason only. failure to comply with his or her discipline.staying within your own parameters is of the utmost importance.once you step out,you are in no man's land and thats when the big hits take place.

#45     Feb 12, 2008
  6. After revising my plan for the 199th time, I begin to understand what you mean.

#46     Feb 12, 2008
  7. 'Success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan' is a well known adage.

Here is the variant for trading and those trying trading.
    'Success will embrace very few but failure will befriend everyone else.'

#47     Feb 13, 2008
  8. Kap

Kap

The reason there are so many failed traders(gamblers) on this site is directionally proportional to the amount of Psychological threads on the head of this site/ IMHO !

American pie:

A long, long week ago,
    I can still remember how the market used to make me smile.
    What I'd do when I had the chance
    Is get myself a cash advance
    And add another tech stock to the pile.

But Alan Greenspan made me shiver
    With every speech that he delivered.
    Bad news on the rate front;
    Still I'd take one more punt -

I can't remember if I cried
    When I heard about the CPI;
    I lost my fortune and my pride
    The day the NASDAQ died.

So bye bye to my piece of the pie;
    Now I'm getting calls for margin
    'Cause my cash account's dry;
    It's just two weeks from a new all-time high
    And now we're right back where we were in July,
    We're right back where we were in July.

best in your trading

Kap

#48     Feb 13, 2008
  9. peto

peto

Superb!

In case anyone else likes it check out Kap's other masterpiece on the "How to learn price action thread" http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/misc.php?s=&action=bbcode....

Subscribers here by thousands float,
    And jostle one another down,
    Each paddling in his leaky boat,
    And here they fish for gold and drown.

Now buried in the depths below,
    Now mounted up to heaven again,
    They reel and stagger to and fro,
    At their wits' end, like drunken men.

Meantime, secure on Garraway cliffs,
    A savage race, by shipwrecks fed,
    Lie waiting for the foundered skiffs,
    And strip the bodies of the dead.

Kap

#49     Feb 14, 2008
  10. Kap

Kap

can't really take the credit as the are dittys I have picked up along the way - amusing and very apt though :p

#50     Feb 14, 2008