Why do these idiots not give a rats arse about price of oil

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Sky123987, May 16, 2008.

1. a couple reasons

oil has lots of money to lobby. also, by the time alternative fuels are able to put a dent into oil/gas demand politicians today will be long gone. they dont have much incentive to think that long term.

#11     May 17, 2008
  2. G-Boa

G-Boa

that's what i'm saying....every post of this guy is ranting from the heavens of supreme foresight and knowledge to the insolent bastards down below - it's entertaining to read as i see words like "assclown" used - wow - dont think i've ever heard anyone use that word before - the guy must've been really cool at school :cool:

#12     May 17, 2008
  3. suggest you get hold of a copy of the book: "Gusher of Lies" by Robert Bryce and watch him lay waste to the concept that ethanol and the other alternate fuels have of ever replacing imported energy.

Caution!!! He is excellent presenting the facts but stumbles and should have avoided most of the politics he takes on especially when he goes off on the neocons.

An excellent book for anyone who wants a look at the facts not the rhetoric of energy.

A good review from the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/07/books/07book.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

DS

#13     May 17, 2008
  4. This is an antiquated notion of work - the old time-clock puncher approach.

That would be fine for jobs where physical dexterity is required, but not really necessary when it is "knowledge" related work or ancillary to it (basically financial, legal, journalistic, computer programming - you know, the "service economy" stuff).

What happens with service-type jobs that can be done via telecommuting is that a much larger responsibility shifts to the managers of those employees. He/she no longer gets paid for baby-sitting but for real management and analysis.

There are plenty of other considerations - like insurance and liability for the company if you have an accident at home "on-the-job", but those are dealt with by the legal department - who can work from home.

:D

#14     May 17, 2008
  5. Plus the savings on the building/s, insurance, heat/ac, water, cleaners, IT equipment, furniture, maintenance.

If they can get away without providing medical or a pension you're almost as cheap as a third world worker.

#15     May 17, 2008
  6. We had the opportunity to change our mentality and ways 30 or 40 years ago, but I think it was just a lot EASIER and less painful to borrow, spend, and consume instead of finding ways to conserve.

#16     May 17, 2008
  7. He ran out of funds to buy gas and his hand is sore - LOL!!! :D

JK - EMRGLOBAL is just full of passion about his beliefs. :)

#17     May 17, 2008
  8. You obviously have no clue.

Most people that "work" from home are sales reps that work a specific territory. If they don't meet certain quotas, the District Sales Mgr. sees it pretty quickly.

Duh.

#18     May 17, 2008
  9. ess1096

ess1096

A better title for this thread would be

"Why Won't Bleeding Heart Liberal Democrats Let The US Drill For Oil In Anwar And Off Our Own Continental Shelf to Add more than 1,000,000 barrels Of Crude Oil A Day To The Supply"

#19     May 17, 2008
  10. maxpi

maxpi

These lousey American employers won't even staggar shifts to ease the commuters problems. Their inflexibility is their hallmark characteristic and seemingly a point of pride on their part, sort of like a person that seems to come from a place where being a jerk is a virtue... the few people that I know of that telecommute are either PhD's that can negotiate a deal like that or really in tight with their bosses..... I'm organizing new little ventures here and I'm putting them in cyberspace to the greatest extend possible. Machine shops, drafting, programming, engineering, product design, all of it can be organized in cyber space, especially if all the participants are subcontractors rather than employees..... screw the cubie scenario, it makes no sense to bring all the people to one fricking location and keep them their in the little sweatshoppy situation that so many are subjected to, what century is this anyhow, 17th... 18th?? With subcontractors you have to have the capability to fill your pipeline internally when they fail, or they deliver late and quality is way off because they think if they make you wait you will have to accept anything... I have a little machine shop that can crank stuff like crazy if need be and probably will wind up with a little core of internal talent and a lot of cyberspace talent......

#20     May 18, 2008