Why do so few recommend their brokers?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Gene, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Gene

Gene

Since there are over 7K forum people, why have so few (about 3 %) responded to the review under the main title of Brokers? Also note that many apparently don't use their log-in handles, WHAT IS GOING ON?

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Because the vast majority of registered users are lurkers, not participants. That's just the nature of the web. Generally speaking, if a site can get 8% of their site visitors to actually contribute to the site through message boards posts or whatever, that's phenomenal. The other reason is that a good portion of the users registered when the market was booming. I imagine that many of those people have been blown out of the water by the market downturn over the last 9 months. That doesn't mean they won't be back, but it does mean that they are lurking or in hiding for now.

Baron

3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Another reason why the broker review section doesn't have more responses is because it only contains direct access brokers, which represent a very small percentage of the total online brokerage industry. If we put firms like eSchwab, Fidelity, Ameritrade, and Etrade on the ratings system, it would be used by a lot more people. We have no interest in attracting the casual investor types to this site, or in finding out who the best browser-based broker is, since we all know that those firms are useless for agressive traders anyway.

4. gh1

gh1

I agree that browser based brokers are not suited to day trading. I have been researching the DA brokers, and i am leaning toward IB.

But i got derailed last week when the folks at QuoteTracker made an assertion that they support a "direct access interface" with RJT. But i'll be damned if i can get a straight answer about what that really means, or what it will cost.

RJT refuses to discuss the QT interface with me, and the QT team's answers are slightly vague. "Just set it up and you will see how it works" doesn't quite make me feel good.

So, has anybody used the QT/RJT "direct access interface"?

i would like to know how well it executes fills, what services from RJT are required, and what are the commissions if used through QT.

I really like the folks over at QT, and i think it would be great to have a Charting and execution platform all in one package with commissions $5 and below.

It is so confusing, especially when i'm just starting out into DA trading!

regrds/greg