Why do people sell S&P index options

Discussion in 'Options' started by Saltynuts, Mar 16, 2019.

1. ET180

ET180

Selling 1 naked SPY put is always less risky than owning 100 shares of the underlying. Premium sellers really only get into trouble for 1 reason -- they trade too big.

#21     Mar 17, 2019
  2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

sle said:
    How does it make sense to sell puts if you're are already holding S&P? If your trading model shows positive expectancy, extra profits of time decay.

I see: rather than just get slapped on the right cheek, you get slapped on both cheeks simultaneously, not ever having to turn one or the other.

I've got to think about that a bit...

#22     Mar 18, 2019
  3. ajensen

ajensen

The strategies are not that different. Selling S&P 500 put options and selling VIX futures should be profitable in the long run, if you size your positions so that you are not forced to cover at the worst moment, such as Feb 5 2018. Both strategies have positive S&P 500 betas and negative convexity -- they lose more when the S&P 500 falls 3% than they gain when the S&P rises 3%.

Selling VIX futures has been profitable on average, but so has been just buying S&P 500 futures. How profitable is selling VIX futures after you hedge out stock market exposure daily by shorting S&P 500 futures? That is an analysis that every prospective VIX futures seller should do.

#23     Mar 23, 2019
    Timetwister likes this.
  4. sle

sle

It's included in the forward and by that virtue is included in the price. So you are do effectively get the dividend whenever you are short puts or long calls (otherwise it would be an arbitrage, right?)

#24     Mar 23, 2019
    iprome and Timetwister like this.
  5. robertSt

robertSt

Agreed.

It's only dangerous if you're leveraged. If you are covered, then you can keep trading time value for intrinsic value for as long as you need to minimize a catastrophic downturn. The truth is option selling is far less risky than stock ownership, if you are able to actively manage the trade.

#25     Mar 23, 2019
  6. JSOP

JSOP

With the account size of average retail traders, there is no way you can sell SPX options without leverage. And shorting in itself is a leveraged trade inherently.

#26     Mar 23, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  7. robertSt

robertSt

Yes, I only trade equity options. But not sure why you say it's inherently leveraged. If the stock is put to me, I have the cash to buy it. But it's rare that I allow that to happen.

#27     Mar 23, 2019
  8. Sig

Sig

SPX options are cash settled, they will never be "put to you".

#28     Mar 26, 2019
  9. robertSt

robertSt

Right, I responded as if we were talking of equity options, even though the thread was about index options, which are a whole different animal. Serious traders should look at the advantages of equity options, which I have tried to outline elsewhere.

#29     Mar 27, 2019
  10. iprome

iprome

SPX options are priced off interest- and dividend-adjusted index (ATM strike is shifted by the amount of dividend less interest). So selling SPX puts gives you the dividends, while missing the interests on the margin you could have earned risk-free.

#30     Mar 27, 2019