Why do people sell S&P index options

Discussion in 'Options' started by Saltynuts, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Nobert

Nobert

The oil fund manager, who was crying in front of the camera, would be a great example for this (?) ( can't recall names )

#11     Mar 17, 2019
    Sweet Bobby likes this.
  2. sle

sle

How does it make sense to sell puts if you're are already holding S&P?

#12     Mar 17, 2019
  3. Handle123

Handle123

If your trading model shows positive expectancy, extra profits of time decay.

Buffet like on every trade sells options first I think, then waits and buys the stocks. I am not looking to reinvent the wheel.

#13     Mar 17, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  4. srinir

srinir

In Texas it does :p

#14     Mar 17, 2019
    newwurldmn and murray t turtle like this.
  5. %%
    Beats buying them, unless your name is Mark Cook+ he has farms...................................................................................Another reason to sell; get something with dividends, not that itś a main reason to buy-itś not.

#15     Mar 17, 2019

6. I get that. But rolling VIX futures sales generates returns weekly as well. But much, much higher returns apparently. I'm trying to figure out why returns doing that are so much better than the returns selling SP500 options

#16     Mar 17, 2019

7. Yea but it seems the same to me could be said of selling VIX futures, rolling them over time, but it is a much bigger positive expectancy over time, at least historically.

#17     Mar 17, 2019
  8. JSOP

JSOP

No you don't get dividends when you sell SPX options. It's cash-settled cuz it's an index; you don't ever get the physicals.

#18     Mar 17, 2019
  9. JSOP

JSOP

Not everybody can sell futures. Some brokerages don't allow futures selling and some traders might not qualify or have the margins for it. SPX 500 options is much easier to trade and has much lower margin requirements.

#19     Mar 17, 2019
  10. ET180

ET180

*you're / you are

#20     Mar 17, 2019