Why do people post their trading results here

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by fearless9, Nov 19, 2008.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

yeah....like the time StockTrader3 was making yet another prediction and the cam was on and snapped a pic....I saved it...

#11     Nov 19, 2008
  2. nkhoi

nkhoi

ps. for the name fearless you actually sound fearfull about posting online.

#12     Nov 19, 2008
  3. So far as I can tell only Señor Cubano has offered a reason why people post sensitive personal info here on ET.

The reason that it is to help and inspire strangers in their quest for financial success is highly commendable indeed.

A noble gesture indeed.

But is it not possible to pass knowledge to others without the need to offer sensitive information.

Surely the burden of responsibility with cost free learning lies solely with the student.
    If there is a fee involved then that is a different situation.

You may argue that newbies do not know the difference between good info and that which is not at all helpful, no matter how well it is dressed.

But how are they ever to gain their confidence if they remain untested.

I am simply curious to know what drives a person to offer sensitive personal info on the net when there is absolutely no requirement to do so.

regards
    f9

#13     Nov 19, 2008
  4. The issue isn't having access to information about someone's income...

The issue is gaining access to other confidential information that may be attached to the info about the income that wasn't intended to be shown.

Simple test...post your broker info that contains all the other confidential info about whom you are besides those profit loss numbers.

Specially, highlight your social security number, address, telephone number, account number, account ID or any other info you don't look upon as top secret.

Heck, while your at it...I would also like info about your spouse, children, school locations, past work history, medical information, debts et cetera.

It's all public info any ways (not top secret)...right???

Post it here online for all to see...

You can trust me and I promise not to share it with anyone.

:D

Mark

#14     Nov 19, 2008
  5. Excellent point Sir.

No one has giving me a compelling reason to offer any more than I already do.

regards
    f9

#15     Nov 19, 2008
  6. Ego or a desire to help.

#16     Nov 19, 2008
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

EGO perhaps the posters who post only on their up days once in a while ( which is fine by me, cuz Ive seen some sick numbers and its nice to see when they hit big ).....but many post everyday and include down days as well.....So if you know who those are then you would come to the same conclusion I have come up with ( or maybe not ) and thats DESIRE to help others.....peace

#17     Nov 19, 2008
  8. eagle

eagle

To make themselves accountable. If they are out of track then people will notice and that could serve as pressure to get them back on track.

#18     Nov 19, 2008
  9. Mark, I think there's a lot of needless paranoia in this debate. I ran for congress a few years back so yea a lot of "strangers" had access to sensitive personal data. Big deal. Short of identity theft or hacking into your trading account who cares? One issue I'm secretive about is my real estate so I keep that shielded in an LLC trust away from probing eyes.

Clearly posting SS numbers or account numbers is none too wise (I don't even disclose my clearing firm here) but in all honesty I don't think there's much higher security risk-if any-posed by the on-line community than the risk in your own neighborhood. I could easier go through garbage cans to find bank numbers and the like than discover anything over the top sensitive on a message board.

#19     Nov 19, 2008
  10. But you have just acknowledged .....

.. you own RE
    .. you think the ownership is sensitive
    .. you hold it in an LLC Trust

All the time, there was no requirement on you to disclose anything other than your opinion on this thread's subject should you desire to do so.

I am fascinated as to why people offer up sensitive information on the net when there is absolutely not compelling reason to do so.

regards
    f9

#20     Nov 19, 2008