Why do people pay for trading courses/training?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by PropTraderMTL, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Redneck

Redneck

PTM

Should have said you wanted to work on the important stuff (your noggin)

Sorry I didn't pick up on it - I really thought you were headed in a different direction

Mark’s stuff

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=215117

Brett’s stuff

http://traderfeed.blogspot.com/2010/03/download-now-available-for-brett.html.

Just listen to this, ignore the sales pitch

http://www.screencast.com/users/Mar...rs/media/d033bd77-c103-45ac-a5ef-8e2ffb611537

Help you program the mind set you seek

http://www.transparentcorp.com/

eta

Here's tharp - I'm not overly keen on him these days though

http://www.iitm.com/articles/Stop-Worrying-Yourself-out-of-Profits.htm

RN

#21     Feb 27, 2011
  2. jinxu

jinxu

Why is it 27 years? And 7 years?.....so 277?

And you post this on 02-27-11 at 06:33 PM. Why?

#22     Feb 27, 2011
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I haven't used those specific psychologists and if I do need to see again a psychologist...I would do what I did before...in person only and someone within driving distance.

I'm just wouldn't be a big fan of seeing someone online for personal issues that's sabotaging anything in my personal life of trading career if such were to occur again.

Mark

#23     Feb 27, 2011
  4. Redneck

Redneck

PTM,

The other thing – start a journal

Not of your trades (although one for your trades is vital)…. But a journal of your thoughts

Step 1 – clear your mind (by writing down your thoughts)

Step 2 – crystallize and simplify your thoughts (think through your thoughts, and why you think that way- and the benefits of thinking that way - if it holds no benefit - it needs done away with, or modified)

Step 3 – simplify your thought processes (learn to focus (think about) just what you need to achieve what you want)

(obviously I have abbreviated the steps significantly - but you get the idea)

Ultimately the goal is to enter the market every day – centered… opinion-less…, and bias-less

And remain that way throughout the day

Easy to say – it is tough as hell to do – at first…

But it is doable

Successful Journey

RN

#24     Feb 27, 2011
  5. Redneck

Redneck

#25     Feb 28, 2011
  6. Lucias

Lucias

I have bought a DVD course from John Carter and not it was not worth it and not very helpful. But, it did pump me for a couple weeks. However, I am offering mentoring and that would be very worthwhile.

No, I would not buy Pristine materials. Yes, there are real edges. Yes, there are things that work. No, you will not read bout them in books or it will be hard to decode them. Yes, there is something more then the basics.

No, there is no secret. Yes, I am always looking for training myself and to learn new things. Yes, Dr. Steenbarger is/was the real deal. No, most trading psychologist are not.

No, having a plan is not the most important piece.

What is important is to find a truly experienced mentor who will tutor one over time. I do not know of anyone except myself I would trust. Although, I am always keen on what others have to offer.

If I were to purchase training myself, I would look at SMB Training and SpreadProfessor here. Bone was complaining about paying taxes the other day though, seems suspect for a trader with 18 years of winning trades. In general, I am not interested in paying for training though. I would demand some evidence before I forked any cash over. I would also want to know I could implement/use what I was taught.

I discovered the basis behind all technical analysis about 5 years ago. While, I could be absolutely wrong, I do feel I may have influenced Dr. Steenbarger but could be wrong. We were certainly on the same wavelength when he still updated his blog, that is. I think you could learn a lot from his work.

What else? That's all there is. One thing I do is that I will review what other winning traders are doing, how they approach the market.. I always demand evidence though. I do a lot of research. I stay away from promoters (like Carter/Senters) and try to find real traders. I'm confident in my abilities but feel education is important.

Honestly, I think that many people are mesmerized by the dream. They go to seminars and things but don't trad. They aren't really going to be traders but like to consume/pay for the dream. The dream must come from inside though.

A lot of excellent traders did have real mentoring though, for example Andrea Unger was mentored and has one the world cup several times.

While lacking any real mentor, I do have several books mentors, they would would be: Gary Smith, How I Trade For A Living and Dr. Brett Steenbarger. I also try to pick something up here or there from other traders, whatever I can use and integrate into my work or that is similar.

#26     Feb 28, 2011
  7. local

local

I agree. I didn't trade on the same floor as you, but I think this style of trading is common to most trading floors. Had this one local who really didn't have a clue about the fundamentals and wasn't really good at technicals but was very good at reading the paper flow. Used to literally follow me around the floor and duplicate my trades. He had difficulty making the transition to the screen.

Re mentors; traders with floor backgrounds have something to offer, but not everyone with floor backgrounds are created equally. Some posters on ET claim to have traded on the floor, but it is easy to categorize which were successful and which were not successful.

Regards, lcoal

#27     Feb 28, 2011
  8. Handle123

Handle123

I been in the biz over 30 years. And yes, I have taken many trading courses, seminars, expos, all that is pretty much out there, tax deductable and I like to have an open mind, most of it junk though, most will not proven they even trade.

And yes, I have taught for approx 15 years, I provided all with 3-5 years of brokerage statements, half would pay me back trading one of my accounts and others from their profits, I doubt many do this any much now. And I have mentored many for just because. No one is going to trade like me nor will I ever trade like them. Too many start to change things after they leave me, then they lose, so long as they had to explain each trade everyday for at least a year, they did well. Many people trade for reasons other than making money, and men are the worst, we have ego's, you overcome ego, and you overcome much. Women generally are much better traders, they multi-task better than men, how else can they take care of the kids, clean house, work outside the house, make dinner, men have it sooo easy, LOL.

Try to get brokerage statements from those who sell courses is like pulling teeth. The good ones are more than happy to provide.
    Would you ask just anyone about your health from anyone wearing a white coat? LOL, Good humor Ice Cream guy always wore white coat I think.

#28     Feb 28, 2011
    beginner66 likes this.

9. Hahahaha !

Do you hear yourself?

The reason you will never learn form anyone is because you are not capable of it.

You know everything !

And thats ok but not everyone is as brilliant and smart as you.

Keep on truckin :cool:

#29     Feb 28, 2011
  10. 7 years is an "average" business / market cycle.

If you can survive 7 years the probabilities of you surviving the next cycle are strong.

Markets flux in volatility and great traders survive through them all.

#30     Feb 28, 2011