Why do people believe day trading will get them rich quick?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by emg, Dec 28, 2010.

1. It depends on what you mean by "quick"

If it means sit down at a computer and with low capital, no experience, no knowledge (other than reading market wizards) and then print money, well that is so improbable as to be realistically impossible.

If it means become wealthy to extraordinarily wealthy over a 10-15 year time horizon, that is possible.

I know that a number of people who post here somewhat regularly fit this profile.

#221     Jan 6, 2011
  2. emg

emg

more than 90% believe day trading will get them rich quick the like of george soro, warren buffet, etc etc.

#222     Jan 7, 2011
  3. Cheese

Cheese

Lets look at what a volatile market can offer the daytrader.

Lets take CL. And lets look at the last 5 days, Jan 5 to Jan 11.
    Using a minimum span of 40 points per swing, lets look at the gyrations day by day, namely the sequential swings up and down, open to close. And lets take those five days in sequence, Wed to Tues, citing the number of swings per session by the mean average points per swing: 8 x 88, 9 x 83, 7 x 99, 20 x 58 and 4 x 100.

Lets look at those maximum daily points; 711, 749, 669, 1175 and 401. Now lets total all that for a 5 day maximum: =3705 points!

Could an amateur trader learn (or eventually learn) sufficient to take a net 20% from such weekly maximums with just one contract? That would be $7410. Could such an amateur, (not even compounding by increasing his stake size) do that for 50 weeks? That would be $370,500 :eek:

Making yourself rich is a choice.
    :)

#223     Jan 12, 2011
  4. Because daytrading is a zero sum game where the better daytraders make money of the worser ones.

It is mathematicly impossible to get certifiably rich of daytrading, it has no true edge.

And I dont mean rich as in millionaire, but it is impossible to there be 10+ daytrader billionaires ever.

The math doesnt work out.

#224     Jan 12, 2011
  5. Locutus

Locutus

Given the way intelligence and other relevant factors are distributed (normal) it's also unlikely that the division will be anywhere near equal (i.e. 5 losers for 5 winners) but more likely 8 losers for 2 winners, even when those in the upper ends of the distribution participate.

#225     Jan 12, 2011
  6. Locutus

Locutus

Randomness is a choice? hahaha. Dude. I've never really heard of a consistently profitable CL daytrader (swing trader yes of course, but daytrading CL isn't a real good idea). You're better off looking at a year's range and swing trading it.

#226     Jan 12, 2011
  7. achilles28

achilles28

CL trades no different than anything else. The more volatility, the better (from a daytraders perspective).

#227     Jan 12, 2011
  8. Locutus

Locutus

Ok, well, hat's off to any succesful CL trader. I think it's scary and unpredictable. I'm more of a position trader anyway. Tried daytrading, which gives me an edge in position entry and exit I think but pure daytrading was never profitable for me.

#228     Jan 12, 2011
  9. achilles28

achilles28

^That's fair. Everyone has their niche.

#229     Jan 12, 2011
  10. vk60546

vk60546

Hi Jinxu,

But your blotter is for a paper trading account. How does paper trading prove that one is successful? I can show you a blotter with any dollar amount in papertrading.

#230     Jan 12, 2011