Why do people always look to 'buy', not to 'sell'???!!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by spanish89, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Because the markets have naturally trended upward for hundreds of years.

#11     Oct 4, 2008
  2. CNBC junkies

#12     Oct 4, 2008

3. There is a more evident reason :

In our every day life, making profit is associated with selling something higher than what we bought it for, we are conditioned that way

#13     Oct 4, 2008
  4. achilles28

achilles28

1) the average investor doesn't understand short - selling, so they don't do it.

2) the market trends up over the long term, because...

3) our monetary system is inflationary and assets keep pace with inflation, over time.

#14     Oct 4, 2008
  5. NOT because the price have been bullish all these decades... but because of natural Human tendency to be good in nature. We are generally optimistic beings. By doing what is best for everyone's future, we evolve socially. :)

#15     Oct 4, 2008
  6. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

So what's wrong with shorting? You sell first, higher, and buy back lower. That meets the criteria you listed of buy low and sell high(er).

In reality, most investors don't even consider shorting because they don't either understand it or don't even know it exists.

#16     Oct 4, 2008
  7. Basic mentality dictates that people want to trade on the upside. Trading on the downside feels unnatural to them. I only trade on the down side. I am not scared to leave a position overnight because if something bad happens it only benefits me.

#17     Oct 4, 2008
  8. However, if something good happens it benefits me and screws you good.

#18     Oct 4, 2008
  9. The only fundamental thing I am scared of is when a company gets bought. Then all the charts in the world are worthless and I lose all money.

#19     Oct 4, 2008
  10. Many people think it's unpatriotic or morally corrupt to short.

#20     Oct 4, 2008