Why Do Pairs go wrong?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by JAWS, Sep 6, 2017.

1. JAWS

JAWS

I like to trade V, MC pair. I used to like to trade CVX, XOM pair. However, one day these pairs all blow up and you end up giving back all your gains.

What methods do pair traders on this website use to detect when a pair is going bad? Any links to papers or ideas are welcome.

2. Pairs, straddles, automation, or combinations thereof...All blowup, or takes a significant hit, one day or another, o_O

Trading requires constant vigilance and intuition and skill and keeness.
    If it were that easy to essentially print money...everyone would be doing it fruitfully, effortlessly into perpetuity,

You need to be an ET extraterrestrial to survive and thrive in the market,
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    tommcginnis and dealmaker like this.
  3. JAWS

JAWS

I agree. Although I like to take all the intuition out of my trading. Once I have my model, I let my program keep my levels for me in and out.

The problem is in knowing when to get out and take the loss, or add. And in many cases, when to put the pair aside until it proves to be in a trade-able range again.

Those are the things [exit, add, put aside] I am hoping we can discuss on this thread

4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Each pair would have a different reason and catalyst.

If you are doing short term like intraday that will require a certain signal. If you are doing longer that will be different.

tommcginnis likes this.
  5. R1234

R1234

you should avoid holding the pair during earnings announcements and to a lesser extent ex-dividend days.

Are you trend following the pairs or mean reversion?

6. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

"Pairs" do not go wrong.

Pairs trading is Reversion-to-Mean trading -- it observes a history of consistent behavior and keys off of working an observed inconsistency to trigger an entry.

You can't have a recovery to historic behavior -- a reversion to mean -- without having, first, an *excursion* from historic behavior.

7. JAWS

JAWS

That's incorrect. You can regime trade trend-follow pairs, or you can regime trade mean-revert pair. They go "wrong" [for you] when you are playing them to be in one regime or the other, but the market goes against your chosen regime.

Again this is wrong. However, if you remove the "mean-reversion" part, it is then correct, but since it is just a definition it is therefore tautologous.

"In rhetoric, a tautology(from Greek ταὐτός, "the same" and λόγος, "word/idea") is a logical argument constructed in such a way, generally by repeating the same concept or assertion using different phrasing or terminology, that the proposition as stated is logically irrefutable, while obscuring the lack of evidence or..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tautology_(rhetoric)

8. JAWS

JAWS

This is a good suggestion. There is no inexpensive way to get historical earnings dates. Do you know of any?

9. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

"Jaws" -- you confuse trading in correlated assets with pairs trading. You also confuse a precedent condition with the circular tautology. No biggie.

10. JAWS

JAWS

How am I confusing them?

#10     Sep 7, 2017