Why do my breakouts smell?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Bogwaluth, Jul 12, 2006.

1. I trade NYSE listed stocks. My method is a breakout of a volatility adjusted regression line w/ envelope. Works well in hindsight, but I can't get it to work live.

I wanted drinks for their sake alone, not for trading.

The channel dynamically adjusts. NYSE stocks are noisy on a five min chart (maybe it's just my brain). One min charts are crazy. All for this method of course.

I think I may just need better exit logic.

To see something close to what I mean, put up a 40 period Bollinger Band and set the standard deviation to .5 Easiest way to show you an approximation of the channel. Heck, if it works for you enjoy it. Oh, you don't enter on the original breakout. You wait for a break out from that bar.

Best I can describe it. Try it out on all time frames. I love hindsight. Came up with it by accident. Looked promising, but I can't seem to get it right. And I know that's a problem with the exits. Don't really have an exit rule atm other than a MA.

B

#11     Jul 12, 2006
  2. Oh, and no volume useage. Probably should consider that :)

#12     Jul 12, 2006
  3. You need to trade stock index futures. Breakouts always work on those.

#13     Jul 12, 2006
  4. That's almost like sending him to AA.
    :D

#14     Jul 12, 2006
  5. Jack says all ya gotta do is place stop market orders on both sides of a cornsolidation. Cain't lose! I recommend NQ. I need more playmates.

Plus, there is a helpful community of NQ traders just waiting and wanting to provide sound trading advice. I personally know of 19 here.

#15     Jul 12, 2006
  6. fhl

fhl

I have found that taking beano can sometimes inhibit the smell of a breakout.:D

#16     Jul 12, 2006
  7. ===================
    1]Bogwaluth;
    It can be a tough business, have seen the trend change the same day you help someone/announce trend;
    it will not change today, since regular market hours just ended.

2] Apparently you are entering shorts a hi% too late;
    not always too late or you could simply go long/profit,100% accuracy.[on your ''late'' short signal]

3] ES & YM SPY,DIA are in medium , & weekly, daily downtrends;
    so you are fighting the market [if long] ALMOST ANYTIME last few days weeks , months. So you are making progress I feel , like you, recognize you are quote ''fighting the market.' 'unquote.

4 more]XLE sector is still nicely uptrending, so not warning against longs;
    just warning new trader on countertrends which can be tricky.

:cool: And if you averaged top traders[Jack Schwager] 3 books,
    years to profitability would be about, not exact;
    6 months= low
    10 years =hi
    =============
    Bottom line average time to profit=5.3 years
    Wisdom is profitable to direct.

#17     Jul 12, 2006
  8. wreh1

wreh1 Guest

Trade the pullback to the previous breakout point. Better risk/reward.

#18     Jul 12, 2006
  9. Milles

Milles

#19     Jul 12, 2006
  10. man amazing

#20     Jul 20, 2006