Why do most US brokerages not accept EU clients?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Maverick2608, Nov 16, 2019.

1. otctrade

otctrade

I've seen EU citizens on forums posting about using TD Ameritrade up until about 2017, then they were shut down (going by comments). Something must have changed. Maybe it was the MiFID II

#21     Nov 24, 2019
  2. Schwab allegedly accepted new accounts from across the EU up until March 2019. Today it seems Schwab only accepts new accounts from the UK, Germany, Spain and Switzerland. However, my impression is that existing accounts have been allowed to stay onboard no matter the location. A bit strange.

#22     Nov 24, 2019
  3. otctrade

otctrade

Thanks.
    Hmm thats odd. I get Switzerland but don't see why they make a distinction between some EU countries.

Any idea if people who opened before march 2019 could keep their account or if they were forced to close them?

#23     Nov 24, 2019
  4. I called Schwab a couple of times when they introduced zero commission. It was my clear impression that they distinguish between new and old accounts and that people who opened accounts before March 2019 has been allowed to keep their accounts.

#24     Nov 24, 2019
  5. Furthermore it is my impression that brokers operating in the EU are now allowed to sell order flow under MiFID II. However, if a US broker without physical presence in the UE does not solicit clients in the EU and an EU client opens an account with the US broker, the broker is allowed to open the account and sell the client's order flow due to international trade agreements.

#25     Nov 24, 2019
  6. otctrade

otctrade

Thanks for the clarification. That's so annoying they allowed it up to early 2019! Oh well

#26     Nov 25, 2019