(Why) do most traders lose?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by kiwi_trader, Jul 25, 2006.

Why do traders lose?

1. Undercapitalized

23 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. Trading Strategy: Entry

20 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Trading Strategy: Exit

26 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Psychology/Discipline

137 vote(s)
    50.6%
  5. Money Management

65 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Yep, the "art" is what makes the difference between a good trader and a great trader....

All the best,

Don

#71     Jul 27, 2006
  2. Cheese

Cheese

You are so right.

Backtesting which is usually and basically done on OHLC data is at best very incomplete and at worst delusional as to the so-called results which are produced.
    :)

#72     Jul 27, 2006
  3. taowave

taowave

I agree with your assessment.i think systems have a fairly short shelf life,and in the long run system trading is a zero sum game.

However,I think everyone backtests in one manner or another,whether it be visually or with computer.In a sense,all you can do in an uncertain world is try to assess ones odds and the probability of an event happening.Backtest and simulations give you the best insight into that distribution,and proper money management protects onself from the adverse tail move...

#73     Jul 27, 2006
  4. McCloud

McCloud

#74     Jul 27, 2006
  5. fttrader

fttrader

I think we need to make a distinction between backtesting and optimization or curve fitting. As a means of evaluating whether a set of trading rules can work, surely backtesting is required to help make a decision. For example, if the newbie thinks that buying the cross of 2 moving averages can make him money, he only has to backtest to realize that purely trading such a system will fail. It has then served its purpose.
    To rely solely on backtesting to formulate a trading plan, however, can be detrimental.
    When backtesting starts to incorporate a myriad of variables is when it becomes useless.

#75     Jul 27, 2006
  6. I've heard Steve Cohen said his top traders only have a 55% edge of winning. What's the probability for an average trader?

#76     Aug 2, 2006
  7. maxpi

maxpi

I fully agree, if i had started trading with real money when I first looked at trading, psychology issues would have been a big thing, and in fact they were so I quit trading and took up study. After years of studying trading it is not about psychology, not even a little bit. If you have a good system and it is working day in and day out what is to get you upset?

People can't execute their systems because they don't trust them, the answer to that dilemma is to learn to trust the system by understanding it, not to force your fears and distrust down somewhere where it can't bother you.

#77     Aug 2, 2006
  8. Interesting. And interesting what Maxpi says about this.

I think that the poll result reflects where most poll answerers are at currently but that Maxpi's answer is correct. I was rereading some Mark Douglas material earlier this week and he said that discipline was something you needed when you were changing your beliefs.

So once you really truly believe in your system you won't need the discipline. You'll only need it during transitions while you build up your new belief and behavioural habit. Isn't that a relief :)

#78     Aug 3, 2006
  9. hans37

hans37

The answer depends upon the nature of the market traded.

In futures most people lose because they must. the system demands it.

#79     Aug 3, 2006
  10. Hans,

You seem to be saying is that futures is tougher than stocks. But how does that change the answer?

#80     Aug 4, 2006