why do job postings insist on including including "salary" requirement w/resume?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by OTCkrak, Jan 22, 2010.

1. You're wasting your time. "High finance" is closed off and even hard for Ivy Leaguers to get nowdays. CFA won't do much, every other MBA shmoe is going for it. And MBAs themselves are becoming way overabundant.

Focus on trading or on your special skillset. Or get together with some Brazilian buddies and do something. I thought you Brazilians are good hustlers.

Seriously, if you have any drive & brains, look away from the well traveled roads and look for real opportunities.

#41     Jan 23, 2010
  2. I have to agree with this. It's not always the cheap one who gets hired. They would always look for quality and skills of a person. Lowering your range doesn't mean you'd get the job, less a call back.

But IMO, if I were you, even if they have asked for a salary requirement, I wouldn't disclose them. I'll probably give them a percentage of what's my worth but will not disclose it. The key is not to refuse to answer but to artfully turn the question back at the employer.

#42     Jan 26, 2010
  3. Right, it is all about what you do for them, and their bottom line and profitability.

You really don't matter in the scheme of things.

This is why many of us pursue trading, as we then do what is in our best interest and can care less about any other company. Knowing that we are smarter and more happy than the average corporate slaves thinking they are successful with their titles and long hours is what makes trading so rewarding.

#43     Jan 26, 2010
  4. Why bother. From the sound of it you're a total nut-case who's going to be fired the 1st day they start.

#44     Jan 27, 2010
  5. that position was for an investment banking intern gig. they want someone to slave on their knees for 6 months with no pay.. im guessing a winning cover letter would explain WHY someone would want and be willing to do this

#45     Feb 1, 2010
  6. TraderTactics said “But IMO, if I were you, even if they have asked for a salary requirement, I wouldn't disclose them. I'll probably give them a percentage of what's my worth but will not disclose it. The key is not to refuse to answer but to artfully turn the question back at the employer.”

Some of the worst advice in this thread so far IMHO. Not answering the question or trying to be smarter than the hiring manager by thinking a percentage is clever will get you into the do not pass go straight into the trash pile group. The fact you don’t know this means I can only assume you have never had a job like we are talking about here or are a young person. How often have you seen a position advertised that said if no salary requirements are given, you will not be considered (real jobs here, not working at the mowing company in the summer)?

If you want a menial job or are applying at McDonalds you may get away with this. But in the real world, you will be blown out before being able to show if you had any value to begin with. Be careful where you get your advice. Most of it is worthless.

Best of luck

BM

#46     Feb 1, 2010
  7. the1

the1

I disagree. Artfully turning their question into a question gets your resume thrown in the circular file. Here's what you do....

Go to Salary.com and look up the salary range for the job you are applying for. Now careful craft a sentence that highlights your achievements at your last job and go slightly over that salary range. You want to advertise yourself for what you are worth and you can do that by citing statistics and your accomplishments. Employers will pay talented people but you have to demonstrate your talents.

A vanilla answer like "Salary Requirements: $45,000" doesn't do anything. Tell the employer why you are worth $55,000 even though the industry range is $42,000 - $50,000.

#47     Feb 1, 2010
  8. Asking a question doesn't mean you're trying to be smarter than the employer. What I'm trying to say is that instead of telling the employer your current or past salary, you can simply ask what range they expect to pay for the position. And from there, you may offer your desired salary range based on your qualifications. I know that some employers used that question to gauge your market value, but there's no rule you're not allowed to ask questions like that.

Is it a worthless advice? I don't think so. Sorry I am not as smart as you and my advices are not as good as yours either.

#48     Feb 2, 2010