Why do I do what I know I shouldn't be

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by aspenboy, Jul 3, 2006.

1. eco

eco

So Aspenboy,

It seems there are a few base theories of whats going wrong in your trading.

Is the problem that you don't truly have faith in your plan (the issue above) or do you have faith in your plan but inject bad behaviors (habits) in amongst the planful trades? I hesitate to suggest that the "you're just a loser" theorists have anything going for them but their ego satisfaction and their "joy of posting".

#21     Jul 3, 2006
  2. In person peer group pressure will do the trick.

I'm serious.

I had the same problem until I shared an office space with a few other traders that were well discipline with a well defined trading plan.

After a few weeks, I got tired of embarrasing myself in front of them and started becoming more discipline (no more shooting from the hip like in the wild west).

I got tired of watching one of them pick up the dinner tab whenver we went out to dinner as a group.

I got tired of watching everybody around me trade with the trend.

Eventually I got too tired of swimming upstream and after swimming downstream...things got easier...fast.

Regardless, you really need to get your answers from those that are watching you trade in person and not from a bunch of online traders that doesn't see what your seeing and feeling from one trading day to the next trading day

With that said, I'm not saying go out and rent an office space.

I'm saying you should invite some traders to watch you trade for the entire trading day for awhile and monitor closely how it affects your performance.

If your performance improves...

You'll know what the next step needs to be and I'm not talking about a Prop Firm.

Mark

#22     Jul 3, 2006
  3. That is a very good suggestion Mark

#23     Jul 3, 2006
  4. Hey Steve, I agree with you. Mark gave a very thoughtful reply that had me thinking about how I can improve my trading :)

#24     Jul 3, 2006
  5. eco

eco

Yes, Marks suggestion is an excellent one. You might even find that involving a non-trader such as your partner or a friend (explain each trade to them) could do it.

Can you let us know what you try and how it works? The thread could be a great aid to other struggling traders.

Echo

#25     Jul 3, 2006
  6. Again I thank everyone for their feedback,insight and suggestions. I do have a system/approach-when followed-that is consistently profitable. I think,upon reflection now,discipline and awareness of this behavior will aid me on the path.
    I probably also need to work on my concentration and lapses due to boredom.And at times I'm relying on an indicator instead of keying off the really only,best indicator-price itself.
    Need to be a little easier on myself too. M Douglas has me working on the "indifferent emotional response" and "the complete acceptance of uncertainty". His book has really helped...
    Thank you for your participation on this thread. I sincerely feel where one helps others accumulate wealth...he benefits too.

#26     Jul 4, 2006
  7. a-boy

This I believe too...

Thank you for your participation on this thread. I sincerely feel where one helps

...he benefits too

Good Trading to You.

#27     Jul 4, 2006
  8. Paul wrote of the same topic in Romans chapter 7 in the first century AD. And it wouldn't surprise me if Solomon wrote a proverb regarding the same thing, although I can say he did write that there is nothing new under the sun as history repeats itself.

Peruse the Surf report and you'll see a multitude of examples of similar decision-making. I dare say that everyone on this board at times does what they know they should not do as it regards trading.

Point being - you're not alone, but it's up to you to control your actions. Sometimes change occurs prior to catastophe, sometimes change occurs because of catastrophe. Clearly, the former is more desirable than the latter.

#28     Jul 4, 2006
  9. Cheese

Cheese

Or
    "All things work together for them that love God." (Romans 8:28)

#29     Jul 4, 2006
  10. My trading results improved after I dumped the following rationalization: This time it's different.

Once that logic flaw was ousted from my arsenal, I was more willing to do what my systems were telling me to do.

#30     Jul 4, 2006