Why do homebuilding stocks always go up on lousy housing data?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by bonds, Mar 23, 2011.

1. pupu

pupu

Seems like the only thing that can give the markets a down day is a combination of :

9.0 earthquake
    +
    major tsunami
    +
    Nuclear disaster
    +
    a new middle east war
    +
    terrible economic data
    +
    impending sovereign default in Europe

and even then the market is back up after a couple of days like nothing happened

Amazing what FED+QE can do.

#11     Mar 23, 2011
  2. NoDoji

NoDoji

Ghost of Cutten, you seem very knowledgeable about these things and so I would like to ask you related question, something that's been gnawing at me for the better part of year, possibly longer:

What does it mean when Goldman Sachs upgrades a stock from "Conviction Sell" to "Sell"?

:D

#12     Mar 23, 2011
  3. bonds

bonds

Maybe im just being naive but i thought maybe the housing index should not be at a 2.5 year high, up over 100% from the bottom. Guess I was wrong looks like another huge up day today this is clearly a V shaped recovery.

#13     Mar 24, 2011
  4. 1) The stocks "respond" as they should but you can't expect them to keep on following through in the "logical" direction indefinitely. :)
    2) Too much trading activity is short-term oriented. When a stock appears to exhaust itself in one direction, it has to reverse itself in order to "create/attract" trading volume. Trendiness has been replaced by mean-reversion. :(

#14     Mar 24, 2011
  5. It's easier to "manipulate" paper-assets instead of hard-assets. :(

#15     Mar 24, 2011
  6. Chausey

Chausey

I am short PHM and KBH. Sell the rumor buy the news has always been the way shorted stocks going to hell act. Fleetwood Ent. Champion Ent. and Monaco Coach have all been my victims. Come with me if you want to live.

#16     Mar 25, 2011
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

market is drunk on free fed liquidity. end of story.

#17     Mar 25, 2011