Why do folks reveal Profitable Strategies, are they NUTS?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by aeliodon, Jan 31, 2007.

1. porge

porge

or let the monkey throw the dart.....

#31     Feb 4, 2007
  2. I have given novice traders complete stand alone trading
    systems that have 1 to 1 risk to reward ratio's and time proven 70% win/loss records.
    Every single time that I have done this for someone, I have found that newbies lack the discipline and intestinal fortitude to follow through and stay the course with those trading systems.
    I have had newbie friends win 7 trades in a row, followed by 2
    consecutive losers and quit trading because of the 2 losers.
    They can't emotionally handle losing. It demoralizes them and then they don't trust the trading system and that causes a breakdown in discipline, which leads them to give up.
    In my opinion only a very small percentage of people are equipped with the physiological tools necessary to trade successfully.

#32     Feb 5, 2007
  3. i've found it easier to hedge out in another acct. This has worked pretty well.

#33     Feb 5, 2007
  4. Just hedge with another market, es for ym, if you need to feel safe for awhile.

#34     Feb 5, 2007
  5. To answer the original question, only an idiot would share a strategy that works.
    Anyone who doesnt understand why, is an even bigger idiot.

#35     Feb 5, 2007
  6. <i>"To answer the original question, only an idiot would share a <b>(mechanical system)</b> strategy that works.

Anyone who doesnt understand why, is <b>(ignorant to the realities of real-time, human trading)</b> an even bigger idiot."</i>

With a little bit of editing, this statement now reads correctly

#36     Feb 5, 2007
  7. Are you saying that non-mechanical systems are immune to saturation? I dont see how that is possible.

For any given strategy, there is a finite price range and shares in that price range where an instrument is mispriced.

Throw enough people into the same boat and it will sink.

Non-mechanical, makes things "fuzzier" and the "edges" of what is considered the strategy is not nearly as clear as a mechanical system, but the same exact thing will happen. It will become overloaded and worthless.

#37     Feb 6, 2007
  8. cdowis

cdowis

I suggest that you read Van Tharp, "Trade your way to Financial Freedom". Talks about how to develop a successful trading system.

For example, the entry is the least important part of a system. He demonstrates how you can use a random entry and still make money.

#38     Feb 6, 2007
  9. For me, the entry is the most important part of a system followed by money management.

Each to their own!

#39     Feb 6, 2007
  10. i parsed your comments within you comment in color.

#40     Feb 6, 2007