Why do financial forums attract such a high rate of ego hungry individuals?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by romik, Mar 9, 2007.

1. There was once a wise man, who lived in a certain small town and to whom many came for advice and information. One day a newcomer to the town went to the wise man and said: “What sort of people are they who live here?” The wise man replied by asking: “What sort of people were they in the town you come from?” The newcomer replied: “Oh, they were a miserable lot, unfriendly, mean, un-neighbourly and most difficult to live with.” “Well,” said the wise man, “you will find them just the same here.”

Presently another newcomer came to the wise man, asking the same question: “What sort of people are they who live here?” The old man again replied by asking: “What were the people like in the town you come from?” “Oh,’’ the second newcomer replied, “they were a splendid people, kind, friendly, and full of goodness. I was sorry to leave them.” “Then,” said the wise man, “you will find them just the same here.”

#21     Mar 9, 2007
  2. wdscott

wdscott

Very wise story, indeed!

Thanks

#22     Mar 9, 2007

3. This is because we are in competition against each other. Hurting someone's pride may result in him/her not able to do <b>some</b> trades. Resulting in the winning of the opposite party. Main thesis is that the competition influences us to disrespect each other. It is like smack talk in sports, not liked but neccessary.

#23     Mar 9, 2007
  4. romik

romik

I understand that, but business people in other industries are also competitive. Anything to do with money bears competitiveness. Also, no matter how we influence the other poster has no reflection on the actual market.

#24     Mar 9, 2007
  5. Yup totally agree. Have you ever read Monkey Business. Wel, it is illistreted in their perfectly. The way people try to get on top of each other by calling each other names, etc. It is funny how it is easy to hurt someones pride.

Case and point.

I attended this psychology study couple of days ago (requiered if you are taking the class). Well, they gave us a test. 10 cognitive questions which resembled SAT type questions. I thought that I did very well. I knew all the answers, etc. etc. Well they made us answer some questions regarding the test, how we feel (mad, angry, relieved, etc.) Of course my confidence was up b/c I did good on the test. Then they graded the test and gave us back the scores. Either pass or fail. On my test it stated failed. Then they asked us how we felt again. Of course I was pissed, dissappointed, my self-esteem was low.

After finishing with the questions they told us that the results are fake and were randomly genrated, not graded. (PS I did well on it)

The point is that little points like this can influence your self-esteem thus, making you make mistakes in a future b/c you think that you are unable to do better. Same thing work with smack talk

#25     Mar 9, 2007
  6. romik

romik

So we ARE all the same :), then the only thing that distinguishes happy from bitter people is a lack/loss of money, as there are a heck of a lot more nicer people in middle class neighbourhoods or at least on the surface. Would it be logical to assume that the ones that are most frequently disgruntled posters are the ones actually suffering from a consistent absence of money or major/recurring losses? And assuming the generally accepted statistics of majority (by number) losers in this business points us to assume that the most frequent bitter posters on ET type forums are indeed suffering from financial loss/es from trading activities?

#26     Mar 9, 2007
  7. zdreg

zdreg

people are what they are.
    bitter people will always find a reason to be bitter.
    happy people will always find a reason to be happy.

failures always blame their tools or lack thereof.

successful people will always say they found what was needed.

#27     Mar 9, 2007
  8. For the same reason that some people who do not feel in control of their lives come home and kick their cat. Which begs the question, why would anyone own a cat? But that's a topic for another thread.

#28     Mar 9, 2007
  9. romik

romik

Of course, though WHY do financial discussions seem to attract more bitter people (let's just categorise them as bitter & happy posters) than other discussion boards? Let's take wedding photography as an example here, also a competitive business :) There are photographers that make $20k from wedding shoots & others will be lucky to get $400 contracts, but I do not see the resentment in them as much as I see it in posters on financials. Why is that? We are all the same, right?

#29     Mar 9, 2007
  10. romik

romik

I own a cat because I love my wife :)

#30     Mar 9, 2007