Why Do Employers Seek ANY H-1B Worker Visas?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by El Guapo, Apr 14, 2009.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

The reality is 99.9% of them poses no threat whatsoever, so the r:r ratio is like 99:1 which is good enough to keep the way it is.

#11     Apr 14, 2009
  2. I cannot agree. Of course, as the saying goes, "your mileage may vary"; holds true with foreign workers.

However, this will all be very interesting as this country begins its immigration reform. All of these "lost" jobs will most likley get filled with our newest "legalized" citizens. The repubs let them in, and now the dems will make them legal. When the H1-B's start complaining that their salaries are being undercut by "immigrants". Ha!

#12     Apr 14, 2009
  3. You are right. Americans feel like they are entitled to everything. They want a nice fat salary, bonuses, health insurance, dental insurance, 401k with matching, pension, disability and life insurance, company car, and 8 weeks vacation. So of course companies will go to cheaper parts of the world, because they give them $2 an hour and that's it, no other benefits. If all companies here in the U.S. stopped giving any benefits, people would still work, otherwise they would starve.

#13     Apr 15, 2009
  4. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/business/12immig.html

“We are watching the decline and fall of the United States as an economic power — not hypothetically, but as we speak,” said Craig R. Barrett, the chairman of Intel.

Mr. Barrett blames a slouching education system that cannot be easily fixed, but he says a stopgap measure would be to let companies hire more foreign engineers.

#14     Apr 15, 2009
  5. That's a complete bullshit theory, and only a tool would recite it with a straight face.

The only thing these guys care about is their bottom-line, they'd throw their mother under the bus, sell their wives and ship their kids off to indentured servitude for another quarter worth of profits.

That is in fact exactly what they are doing with the H-1B Visa phenomena ... but a little known fact is that all jobs which are essentially intellectural property can be outsourced, so they can get rid of these fat-ass executivess as well as the worker bees.

Like I said, complete bullshit, and you can quote me on it ... they should retitle the H-1B Visas as "the selling of America".

this is true legalized prostitution

#15     Apr 15, 2009
  6. lrm21

lrm21

Whats the answer?

Say you shutdown H1-Bs

Then foreign companies will hire them and prosper.

You can't have it both ways.

People don't want illegal immigration and they don't want legal immigration.

But they want their unlimited pensions.

#16     Apr 15, 2009
  7. Anyone who says this, I have to say BULLSHIT.

You're not going to get an Indian MBA for $5.00 an hour. Not a real MBA. What you will get is some semi-retarded guy from an Indian village who got his MBA in a couple months by writing a "research paper".

Any Indian who got a real MBA will either aim for the going salary or will go to top bidders in Mumbai. And it's not $5.00/hour or even $10.00. Also, considering that this type of individual is the higher end of the Indian working force, they are still vastly inferior to the higher end of the American working force.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. And even with the labor cost disparities, that adage still holds true.

#17     Apr 15, 2009
  8. Agreed. There is a reason so many Indians want to go to school in the US. Comparing an Indian MBA to a US College MBA is just absurd. Hell, they even clamor to get into the University of Phoenix programs....

#18     Apr 15, 2009
  9. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

You can disagree with me all you want, but I have hired both and with one exception I've always been happier with the work ethic and quality of the Indian or Philipinno's (Indians more so then Philipinnos btw, but both are very good).
    You are correct that I'm not going to get a guy with 20 years experience for $5 an hour (that will cost me about $12 to $20, and btw for about $16 to $25 an hour you can get guys who went to Ivy League schools in the US but have moved back to India)
    The quality of the top Indian Business and schools and engineering schools for programmers is very good. I wish as much as anyone that it was not the case, that I could hire American's and not worry about them making my company look like shit, but it just doesnt happen very often. Maybe it's because I'm not a great manager (I'm not) and Americans need more oversight, I dont know..but anyway that is my experience and that is what you can get for the prices I have listed.
    Brandon

#19     Apr 15, 2009
  10. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

If you look at how Indian companies are taking market share away from American ones I think you'd also want to rethink your assumption that the highest end of the American workforce is so much superior to the highest end of the Indian workforce.

Brandon

#20     Apr 15, 2009