Why do currency pairs have intraday gaps?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by TraderGreg, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Different exchanges or banks opening/closing? Please explain this to me.

Thanks for your help,

Greg

2. hyipgod

hyipgod

I think it is because of extreme violent movement at that moment that broker couldn't catch it

3. Perhaps it's because forex is a 24 hour market, but still has market openings and closings as the time of day moves from Asia to New York and back again. "Fixings".

4. That's possible. I'll email my broker and ask. Thanks.

5. My broker explained to me that their charts only plot the best bid price at any given time, and not the last or the marks. Are all currency charts like this? Thanks

6. Gaps are rare during regular trading hours, altough they can occur when the market opens/closes (more marked when FX futures opens/closes), or during hours with too low volume.

7. jlbonani

jlbonani

Hey people!, listen to this guy, he is almost right, in fact there are fixings, offsettings and also gaps between business hours of the main financial centers around the globe.

8. jlbonani

jlbonani

Hey people!, listen to this guy, he is almost right, in fact there are fixings, offsettings and also gaps between business hours of the main financial centers around the globe.

9. Thank you, Jlbonani.

10. AC3

AC3

The answer is it depends on when the Gap was made. Gaps typically appear between the New York Close and the Tokyo open. This is when "Rolls" are done in the accounts of US based accounts so there are partial pips charged/credited to accounts as well as events and news effecting the price of the pairs to make for Gaps in the chart.

If the gap your seeing appears during the day in New York its more then likely due to a news item that has made the price drop or rise without bids or offers for any number of pips. The size of the gap in this instance depends on the currency pair ... the more illiquid the pair the greater the gap ... Euro/$ not so much ... THB/$ big.

Don't be fooled by any salesman who tells you the stop or the price is guaranteed or there is sufficient liquidity... in a word thats BS. When theres no price theres no price and the machine will just show a bid 30 or 40 points down or up and if you had a stop above its filled down below and thats that.

Hope that helps.

#10     Aug 14, 2008