Why do Conservatives Embraces Libertarians, but Neo-Liberals Don't?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RCG Trader, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Based on that analogy, I'd have to say...elementary school childish.

I edited that last part so more of us would be in agreement.

#21     Sep 26, 2010
  2. You are thinking "neolib" as in, non classical lib. THEY use the term "neo lib" to pejoratively describe Classical libs, when actually THEY are the neo libs. Classical libs are, well, classic.

#22     Sep 26, 2010

3. Ive noticed that, and I have also noticed that they except for trefoil, remain strangely, quiet.

You know, the constitution is an astoundingly simple document. How did we so badly screw up, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

The founders would be tragically amused at what we have done to ourselves.

#23     Sep 27, 2010
  4. I beg to differ. A true libertarian would take the world as it is, and say let me MAKE my place in it, without taxes, tolls, and tickets.

#24     Sep 27, 2010
  5. Who, then, polices, builds the roads and bridges, inspects the food, the elevators, etc., enforces customs laws, arbitrates disputes, enforces contracts, and so on?
    In the real world, nations, and the provinces underneath them, exist to do all of the above. Who does this in your theoretical libertarian utopia?

#25     Sep 27, 2010
  6. Libertarian policy allows for government to do all these things. Classical liberalism makes allowances for government to do all the things you mentioned.

I personally would like to see some domestic security outsourced to private service providers. I'd also like to see more private bridges and roads allowed to be built. Nonetheless, Libertarian policy allows for all the things you mentioned, as does Laissez Faire economic policy.

#26     Sep 27, 2010
  7. You wouldn't know that from the posts around here, but I'll grant you the concession, as it's a tenet of conservative political philosophy.
    Next: who pays for it, and how?

#27     Sep 27, 2010
  8. Taxes(income, consumption, real estate, etc), tariffs, tolls.

Some libertarians want a consumption only tax. Others want a combination. Some want flatter, lower income tax with more consumption tax. Opinions differ within the movement. However the universal sentiment is for flatter, and lower taxes. Something along the lines of Hong Kong would be ideal for most Libertarians and classical liberals.

EDIT: When I say tariffs, I mean taxes on particular goods (alcohol, tobacco, drugs, ammunition, etc), fees for licensing and registration of all kinds which are currently charges. Another thing- most of us want all income taxed equally. Income is income, it's not the government's place to differentiate types of income and tax them separately. Income, capital gains, inheritance, bonuses etc to be taxed at the same rate. After all, it's all income.

#28     Sep 27, 2010
  9. Left and right paradigm is just smoking and mirrors, there are just insider and outsider in real life.

#29     Sep 27, 2010
  10. I personally would like to see a flat income tax along with sales or usage tax. Tax should not be applied to licenses because they ultimately provide services that benefit the state. Licenses that allow people freedom within the state( I don't know). It would depend on what the states revenue stream would be to see if that were needed.

Bottom line. Curb severely entitlements, then use taxes to equalize revenue to expenditures.

The problem is that what politico will cut an entitlement that their district has grown used to?

#30     Sep 27, 2010