Why do conservatives belieave the earth is 8K years old and global warming is false?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mahram, Jun 5, 2007.

1. This genius doesn't even know English.

One of the first (and foremost) ideas in liberalism, is something called "free market." "Free," as in liberty. That is where liberalism is derived. Where have you been in the past 400 years?

If you have a dictionary, then look the word up. Otherwise, google "liberalism" and read about it before completely embarrassing yourself again.

#21     Jun 6, 2007
  2. fhl

fhl

Liberals are for free markets? I could have sworn that those who call themselves liberal were all for Hillary's plan to end the free market in health care, which comprises about eighteen percent of the US economy.

Perhaps someone should tell those liberals to wake up to what liberalism is all about.:)

#22     Jun 6, 2007
  3. jem

jem

exactly I think the professor confused old school liberalism with todays Liberal.

large difference. like Neo con vs. true conservative.

#23     Jun 6, 2007
  4. You're delusional if you think that there is a free market in health care today. The difference between today's Republicans and today's Democrats is whether you want corporate control of the market, or government control. I take that back. The difference is whether you want old economy corporate (oil and steel) control, or whether you want new economy corporate (technology) control. Hillary has never been a real liberal, just as Bush has never been a real conservative.

#24     Jun 6, 2007
  5. fhl

fhl

If one does not like what their health insurer provides, they are free to go anywhere they want with their own money. That is by definition a free market.

Under Hillarycare, you can go to jail for contracting for personal health care outside of the system. That is not a free market.

#25     Jun 6, 2007
  6. Why is labeling one's self such a badge of honor? Being independent seems to make more sense, just by definition. Neo-cons and Libs, bulls and bears, Christian or Jew, Giants or Patriots. Sounds a bit like european soccer fans, fighting just for the sake of fighting.

I would hate to have to follow someone else's rules to live by, liberal or conservative. I would hate to have to listen to AirAmerica or Rush to know what my talking points are supposed to be. I feel pretty good discussing all the main topics affecting our Country, rather than having to think one way or another because I labeled myself.

Makes no sense to me.

c

#26     Jun 6, 2007
  7. You're back at the conservatives' favorite trick, rumor mongering.

What do you get today if you sell prescription drugs "outside of the system?" Yes, you go to jail under today's law. Is that a free market?

#27     Jun 6, 2007
  8. fhl

fhl

If you are going to go to ridiculous levels, then there is no such thing as a free market in anything. One needs to be licensed to sell stocks.

That being the case, lets go back to your argument that a liberal is for free markets. How does that hold any water? Especially in light of the fact that it is liberals who seem to want more, not less, regulation.

#28     Jun 6, 2007
  9. Wow. I can only imagine the effect that fresh air might have on you and your consciousness.

#29     Jun 6, 2007
  10. I wonder what (possibly single digit?) percentage it would represent if cost of medical care was not allowed to be priced out of the stratosphere and beyond all recognition.

Indeed, health insurers, HMOs and all their cousins are so deeply misunderstood.

But what about the poor and disadvantaged who have the audacity to require medical attention? Oh yes, the invisible hand of the market will squeeze their balls and tell them to turn their heads to the left and cough up.

#30     Jun 6, 2007