Why do America's police need an armored tank?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bearice, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Yeah, just like everyone says they won't back down from a fight, or will intervene if they see a beating taking place. And we all know that in reality, most people chicken out in those situations.

If these officers have a riot gun pointed at their backs, and get ordered by their commanders to round up the enemies of the state, they will do it. The ones who won't will be fired or quit voluntarily, and will get replaced by young new recruits who will be trained to adopt the new jack-boot mentality.

When did the police ever lead a pro-liberty revolution? The police are inherently an authoritarian institution. Every dictatorship in the world, the police are the ones who keep it in power. The number of principled pro-liberty police is less than the number who are either just in it for a paycheque, or who think their job is to follow orders, not to question them.

What will stop the police following oppressive orders is if free citizens shoot enough of them dead that they give up, or the heads at the top roll and the policies are changed.

#51     Mar 7, 2011
  2. Don't be so shocked, as I feel the exact same way. There's something about cruelty to animals that deeply disturbs me on an emotional level, more than anything else can.

#52     Mar 7, 2011
  3. Are you a vegetarian then?

I am sure that you are aware of how many animals Americans regularly eat who are treated with enormous cruelty prior to their slaughter.

Not trying to start something here, but I find it quite strange how many people went nuts with Michael Vick and dogs, then turn around and order veal for dinner.

http://www.davekopel.com/env/Calf-Cruelty-is-Not-Necessary.htm

http://www.aspca.org/Blog/aspca-speaks-out-for-ohio-veal-calves.aspx

Interesting discussion at the thread below:

http://edu.englj.com/social-sciences/75222.html

From the website above:

I feel that our inhumane treatment of animals is linked towards commerce. It's the American virtue of greed prevailing over conscience. If running a slaughterhouse in a way that is cruel to the cows makes the slaughterhouse say, 20% more efficient, then when money is your only concern, what do you care? You don't see these cows, they aren't your pets. There are thousands of them, and their entire lives are dedicated to being eaten anyway, so who cares if they're miserable, they're going to die anyway.

#53     Mar 7, 2011
  4. Clearly, they require armored tanks to crush the inevitable cow and pig revolt. Chickens, to..........to a much lesser extent.

Ok, forget the chickens, they can't do that much damage.
    I'm sure they would like to peck the Kernel to death, but you don't need armored tanks to protect KFC.

From chickens.

#54     Mar 8, 2011
  5. No, I eat meat because my discipline is for shit, and then I feel guilty about it. Abstaining from veal & Foie gras doesn't take much discipline, so I do that much.

Grocery stores already offer special (expensive) cruelty-free eggs, and I wish they'd do the same kind of thing in the meat department. Maybe Whole Foods already has that sort of arrangement going? I really should check.

I've long said that there are only two clear areas where I'd like to see <b>more</b> government regulation and enforcement, and not less: Panhandling, and animal cruelty.

Are you a vegetarian?

#55     Mar 8, 2011
  6. Vegan.

#56     Mar 8, 2011
  7. Ricter

Ricter

If God had not meant for us to eat animals then why did He make them of meat??

; )

#57     Mar 8, 2011
  8. Explains a lot.

#58     Mar 8, 2011
  9. Really?

What does it explain?

#59     Mar 8, 2011
  10. Crispy

Crispy

I remember blue pants, blue short, nice looking crisp sharp cover, and a sedan marked "police" With "to serve and protect" under it.

Now every podunk cop wears black fatigues and a black SWAT style baseball cap with ripstop pants and cargo pockets. Black vests and tasors. And drive a un marked cars with black tinted wondows.

Do cops realize that the militarization of them make them further targets for criminals. But more importantly the law abiding citizen?

The military industrial complex and the largest inmate population in the entire world is not a coincidence. Make no mistake about it. They want more power and they mean it.

If you cannot control the law abiding citizen, its very simple. You create laws that make them criminals. Then you can stomp down harder. Not just felony type laws. But business, tax and other non-violent type crimes...such as - you must buy health insurance from a private provider or its a criminal offense punishable by fine or paycheck levy. A decade ago I would have told you that could never happen. The US govt will never force a person to buy something they dont need.

Yet here we are. If they can ultimately force a citizen to buy health insurance what else can they slip thru?

We are on the cusp of a widening social gap, a huge rift between public and private citizens. The public citizens being the new haves and the private ones the have nots.

The kind of schism that these tanks were designed to thwart...

#60     Mar 8, 2011