Why do America's police need an armored tank?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bearice, Mar 5, 2011.

1. You must not live in New Orleans, because the police there did disarm citizens illegally after Katrina. Left them unprotected in areas where looters were running rampant. The NRA went apeshsit and filed lawsuits, and they had to return the guns months later, but I don't recall anyone being prosecuted or fired over this outrageous civil rights violation.

Frankly, it was a lot more serious than that Black Panther guy threatening people in Philly. The reason is anyonecould see he was a nut. A dangerous goon and thug who is being protected by the Obama/Holder justice Department, but still one guy. Ib New Orleans we had the police and perhaps National Guard involved in a large-scale systematic violation of constitutional rights. And other than the NRA, no one seems to give a crap.

#31     Mar 6, 2011
  2. Martial law is the imposition of military rule by military authorities over designated regions on an emergency basis—usually only temporary—when the civilian government or civilian authorities fail to function effectively (e.g., maintain order and security, and provide essential services), when there are extensive riots and protests, or when the disobedience of the law becomes widespread.

In most cases, military forces are deployed to quiet the crowds, to secure government buildings and key or sensitive locations, and to maintain order.

Generally, military personnel replace civil authorities and perform some or all of their functions.

The constitution could be suspended,

and in full-scale martial law, the highest ranking military General would take over, or be installed, as the military governor or as head of the government, thus removing all power from the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of the federal government.

#32     Mar 6, 2011
  3. The Constitution does not allow or envision any such role for the military. There is no provision for the suspension of the Constitution or imposition of martial law, temporary or otherwise.

#33     Mar 6, 2011
  4. Hey.... it's on the net, it must be true.

Oth, martial law will probably be how everything will play out.

#34     Mar 6, 2011
  5. Yes, from what I have read, martial law is unconstitutional.

However, if Islamic terrorists invaded America, and a right wing Goober president wanted to declare marital law to deal with the problem...would you really object?

Ever since you said Jeb Should send in the National Guard to "save" Terri Schiavo after the courts shot down "Terri's law" as unconstitutional I thought of you as an end justifies the means cat...

#35     Mar 6, 2011
  6. LEAPup

LEAPup

Great post! And btw, I used to live in Kenner (this was way before Katrina.) Do you live in Nawlins? I miss the food, and the... Well, the food. Lol! I can't think of anything else I liked about living there.

And thank God for the NRA!!! Without them, we'd be just like the UK by now with their ignorant gun laws. Wait! What laws? I think all a subject living in the UK can have is a single shot shotgun.

#36     Mar 6, 2011
  7. LEAPup

LEAPup

It was clear that the residents of that home's 4th Ammendment rights were trampled by thugs wearing badges. And breaking in their home over pot??? Omg!!!!!!!

To make matters worse, their was no resistance put up by them, NO resistance by their now dead dog, and now their small Son has been terrorized. Terrorized by people who are supposed to be serving!!!

I would recommend to them to file a civil rights violation (4th) with the DOJ. They have a strong case. Especially when you take in the totality of the circumstances.

A family asleep in their home broken into by thugs, and their dog killed out of spite. I'd have their asses on my bbq grill had that been my home!!!!

They say a former smoker is the worst enemy of current smokers... I'm a former Police Officer, and am similar to the above reference to smokers. I cannot stand these new breeds of cops!!! They're some of the most flamingly out of control assholes I've seen! Grrr!!!! Not all are assholes, but the amount who are these days I'd consider to be tenfold what they were when I was doing the job...

#37     Mar 6, 2011
  8. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Saw vid of police illegally seizing hunting type weapons from people in a boat on lake pontchartrain. A real eye-opener.

The big message from Katrina/Nawlins is:

1) Do Not answer the door. Barricade Big Time.

2) Figure out the codes they are painting on the front of homes and paint the correct symbols on your home.

3) Do Not answer the door. Do not admit to firearms possession or exhibt any firearms.

#38     Mar 6, 2011
  9. Are you familiar with this one?

http://articles.cnn.com/2008-08-07/...d-dogs-cheye-calvo-trinity-tomsic?_s=PM:CRIME

A Maryland mayor is asking the federal government to investigate why SWAT team members burst into his home without knocking and shot his two dogs to death in an investigation into a drug smuggling scheme.

"This has been a difficult week and a half for us," Cheye Calvo, mayor of Berwyn Heights, Maryland, said Thursday. "We lost our family dogs. We did it at the hands of sheriff's deputies who burst through our front door, rifles blazing."

The raid last week was led by the Prince George's County Police Department, with the sheriff's special operations team assisting, after a package of marijuana was sent to Calvo's home.

Authorities say the package was part of a scheme in which drugs are mailed to unknowing recipients and then intercepted.

Calvo said he had just returned home from walking his two Labrador retrievers, Chase and Payton, when his mother-in-law told him a package had arrived for his wife, Trinity Tomsic.

Moments later, Calvo was in his room changing for a meeting when he heard commotion downstairs.

"The door flew open," he said. "I heard gunfire shoot off. There was a brief pause and more gunfire."

Calvo said he was brought downstairs at gunpoint in his boxer shorts, handcuffed and forced onto the floor with his mother-in-law near the carcass of one of dead dogs.

"I noticed my two dead dogs lying in pools of their own blood," Calvo said.

Calvo said his mother-in-law is still recovering from the incident.

"She got the worst of it," Calvo said. "She was literally in the kitchen, cooking a lovely pasta dish, and they brought down the door and shot our dogs."

While he was being held, Calvo said, he told police he is the town's mayor, but they didn't believe him.

#39     Mar 6, 2011
  10. Someone's dog is more than just an animal... it can become a bona fide family member! But do today's cops give a shit?

Distraught Over Dog's Death, Couple Wants Officer Fired
    Michael Gonzalez Blames Officer's Lack of Sympathy for Dog's Death During Traffic Stop

A Texas couple, whose sick dog died as the pair waited along a Texas roadside while a police officer wrote them a speeding ticket, said they are not satisfied with how the officer involved was reprimanded and believe he should be fired.

Michael Gonzalez said his dog died during a traffic stop in San Marcos, Texas because a police officer was not empathetic to his emergency.

Michael Gonzalez and his girlfriend were pulled over as they raced to an animal hospital, near San Marcos, Texas, allegedly at speeds up to 100 mph, Aug. 5. Gonzalez is seen on the police dashboard camera screaming hysterically that the dog, a 3-pound teacup poodle named Missy, was dying.

<b>"It's just a dog, you can get another one,"</b> Officer Paul Stephens is heard saying.

To read the rest: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5601299&page=1

#40     Mar 6, 2011