Why do Americans go to expensive lib art schools?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Feb 4, 2011.

1. rew

rew

When I'm interviewing somebody I don't care what degrees they have. I care what they know and want to see some evidence of the quality of work they can do.

#51     Feb 5, 2011

2. Listen, gotta read my post before you respond. 2nd, I love when data can back up moronic claims

First off let me choose 2 elite schools.

Middle 50 % of first year students scores (SAT):

Amherst (hopefully you know what this school is, voted 2nd liberal arts by US News) :
    Critical Reading: 660 - 760
    Math: 660 - 760

and Harvard (a place you could only hope your kids might one day have half the scores to attend, voted 1st by US News) :
    Critical Reading: 690 - 780
    Math: 690 - 790

So I guess, where does 3rd and fourth tier come in? Because those scores are real comparable especially because SAT scores fluctuate by +- 30 points on any given test day.

Please don't talk out of your ass, for someone that went to a UC Santa Barbara-esque school - you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

And absolutely, more cache at a school like Harvard - never said there wasn't. But your ignorant statements deserve some response, even though they are wasting my time and probably educating the less knowledgeable in the wrong way. It is almost like a Fox news sensation.

#52     Feb 6, 2011
  3. drcha

drcha

I am laughing. It is so true. Many years ago, I went to medical school with a bunch of prep school/Ivy leaguers. They had been to Europe, Asia, knew how to golf and ski, knew Latin and Greek, knew who was who in the opera and the Broadway plays in New York. I did not know any of that stuff. My classmates were nice to me, but I knew I did not fit in, and they knew I did not fit in. There were about five other people like me in my class of 110: we had the numbers to get in, but not the pedigree. We were not hard to pick out even if we never opened our mouths: we were the ones driving the 12 year old Toyotas and wearing the same worn out jeans every day, as opposed to the silk designer sweater with the $400 shoes, in the new European sedan.

I suppose I have more or less caught up now. But I still feel a little uncomfortable around those born with a silver spoon, and think that they could never really understand me and my life. Finally, I am convinced that I appreciate what I have much more because it was not guaranteed to me.

#53     Feb 6, 2011
  4. What a completely moronic response. Truly, I have no f'ing idea where on earth you got the idea that I would imply that Amherst is a third or fourth tier school.

Yes, I know all about the top Eastern liberal arts schools. As I said before, I know what I speak of regarding these schools. Amherst, Williams, Swarthmore, etc, etc are top liberal arts schools as are the Ivy League schools. When I say third or fourth tier, you can go thru any number of schools across the entire country that are NOT Amherst or Williams or whatever other schools with which you created this moronic argument.

Again, I'm so completely baffled by your lack of logic how to respond...Did I not make it clear with my previous post that they rate schools ACCORDING to the criteria with which I referenced. And then you, in all of your indignant stupidity, compare Amherst and insinuate that this was a third or fourth tier school, ROFL. Fuck, you are an idiot.

Third or fourth tier would be something above a 50% acceptance rate, probably 1100 SAT's (on the old scale, no clue what the new scale is)...the sort of places that will accept anybody whose parents have the dough to foot the bill.

(I get it why you have such a gigantic chip on your shoulder now...You were one of those kids who didn't get into an Ivy and have spent your life explaining to people that Amherst is just as good a school, but alot of people outside the East Coast never heard of it. big fucking deal, it is a great school, but why de-rail this thread to deal with all of your petty insecurities...and de-rail it you have).

#55     Feb 6, 2011
  5. chartman

chartman

One cannot be Abe Lincoln and be self educated and expect to be accepted in the 'modern' world. Those days are long gone to never return. One must have the degree or the doors of opportunity are closed. It is not what one knows but what one is suppose to know that counts.

The people in the real world knows the facts of life.

#56     Feb 6, 2011
  6. Here RCarlton, so that we can end this idiotic exchange, please reference US News & World Reports College Rankings and scroll down to schools starting around 60 and onward to gain an appreciation for the actual POINT of my posts. Again, I am NOT arguing that the schools in the top 25 or so are a waste of money, as clearly they are very good schools and graduate kids who can find employment, I'm talking about schools that charge the SAME TUITION as these top schools with inferior results for recent grads.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/liberal-arts-rankings/page+3

#57     Feb 6, 2011
  7. zdreg

zdreg

The rain beats down in a small Irish town. The streets are deserted. Times are tough. Everyone is in debt and living on credit. A rich German arrives at the local hotel, asks to view its rooms and puts on the desk a €100 note. The owner gives him a bunch of keys and he goes off for an inspection.

As soon as he has gone upstairs, the hotelier grabs the note and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher. The butcher hurries down the street to pay what he owes to his feed merchant. The merchant heads for the pub and uses the note to pay his bar bill. The publican slips the note to the local hooker who’s been offering her services on credit. She rushes to the hotel to pay what she owes for room hire. As she puts the €100 bill on the counter, the German appears, says the rooms are unsuitable, picks up his €100 note and leaves town.

debt issue solved.

#58     Feb 6, 2011
  8. As Gordon Gekko stated in the movie Wall Street..."Most of those Harvard MBA types don't add up to dog shit, give me guys that are poor and hungry, and no feelings."

What matters in the end is not what school you went to; what matters is how much money you make, that you are healthy, and that you have a hot wife.

#59     Feb 6, 2011
  9. "Loans can be deferred, but never erased (unless you die or are permanently disabled)."

hmmm, so American student debt = slavery

:eek: :eek: :eek:

#60     Feb 6, 2011