Why do Americans go to expensive lib art schools?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Not to interrupt, but the point of the thread is to address liberal arts colleges and liberal arts majors and their impracticality in today's transitioning economy.

Engineering and CompSci fall into the sciences, definitely not liberal arts majors (engineering especially). Usually, they are separate schools in a university as well.

#21     Feb 4, 2011
  2. I went to a liberal arts school and did pure math. Generally, I don't see how you can generalize that all liberal arts schools produce only fluffy humanities graduates. Ultimately, the choice of specialty is a matter for the student, isn't it? And I do think a free mkt for talent is what ultimately shapes these choices. My Z$2c.

#22     Feb 4, 2011
  3. One reason people go to expensive liberal arts schools is that's all they can get into.

For instance my daughter is a nursing student and is in that situation. She couldn't get into any of the state schools or even the community college due to fierce competition for the limited slots at these less expensive schools. She's a B student BTW. So now she's at an expensive private school with a good nursing program.

The perception that liberal arts schools are all philosophy and underwater basket weaving is not accurate.

#23     Feb 4, 2011
  4. the1

the1

A degree from a pricey school in woman's studies is worthless on it's own but if a student intended to enter law school and practice on women's civil rights then the degree has tremendous worth but in your example this obviously is not the case. I think many students go to school to appease their parents and end up studying the easiest thing they can get their hands on. I betcha if a degree in basket weaving were offered the classrooms would be full. Laziness is part of the human curse.

#24     Feb 4, 2011
  5. chartman

chartman

The primary benefit of an education is to learn how to learn. A large majority of graduates are employed in occuptions not related to their degree. A college education will get your foot in the door. How big of a footprint you make is up to the individual.

#25     Feb 4, 2011
  6. most people went to liberal arts schools and got liberal arts degrees at 30k+/yr because they are stupid.

#26     Feb 4, 2011
  7. I think you're missing the point; or maybe I should say, the more important point. Liberal arts degrees are part of a wider issue of students taking the "soft option" when choosing which subjects to study. This is why Engineering, maths and science graduations have been falling for a long time across the western world.

Thx
    D

#27     Feb 4, 2011
  8. the life cycle of most "successful" working americans:

1) Graduate from school
    2) Get a white collar job
    3) Work your ass off, pay 4-5months salary each year to the govt, pay the rest on student loans etc..
    4) Marry another white collar partner
    5) Feel financial comfortable with 2x salary, buys a house / fancy car, takes on a big debt
    6) Have kids.
    7) Pay kids tuition, pay car loans, pay mortgage, pay 4-5months salary to govt.
    8) Realize 2x salary isnt enough. Continue to work ass off until 65+
    9) Send kids off to school, finally pays off the mortgage on the house, got some 401k in the bank for retirement
    10) Wait to die.

Kid then repeat the cycle all over again.

#28     Feb 4, 2011
  9. the1

the1

The demand for such graduates is also dropping seeing as the US is now competing with India in these fields, among others. That may be an additional reason for the drop in grads from these disciplines.

#29     Feb 4, 2011
  10. tonyalva

tonyalva

How do you suggest breaking the cycle?

#30     Feb 4, 2011