Why do 95% of retail traders lose?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by fanews, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Joman

Joman

What are you talking about :confused:

Shouldn't have wasted my time to reply to you initially...

Good luck with your trading.

#51     Apr 4, 2011
  2. tommo

tommo

Joman,

Yeah i've seen that link before which suggest 20-30% of retail trading accounts are positive. Assuming those figure are accurate you also have to remember those stats take into account all newbie accounts that come into the market have a punt and quit. I wonder what the stats would be like if you only include people that take it seriousy. Quite how you would quantify that im not sure. Maybe if you were positive for the last quarter what percentage of accounts continue to be positive on a month on month basis

#52     Apr 4, 2011
  3. cornix

cornix

How many people become good professional sportsmen or artists, so that they live solely by that activity?

It always amazes me why people think trading should be any easier to succeed at...

#53     Apr 4, 2011
  4. Joman

Joman

Very true Tommo.

On the other side, you also have to consider 2 things:

- what is the percentage of people that are really serious ?
    If do your own due diligence, you would choose the cheapest of these brokers: the percentage goes to 50% of positive accounts.

- what is the percentage of people that do it full time ?
    I'm not sure a lot of these accounts belong to full time traders.

The point is if you're serious and do it full time, I'm sure the odds are much higher !

So like you said, not everyone can do it but this is very feasible.

#54     Apr 4, 2011
  5. cornix

cornix

Another life example (and a hint to what is most difficult about trading :p ):

How many obese people try to lose some weight? Apparently most. How many of those people solve their obesity problem? Right, only a few %.

Is it because advices to stop eating crap, generally eat less and do more physical activity are scam?

Or is there another reason? :D

#55     Apr 4, 2011

6. from a big broker ?

forex,futures or stocks broker ?

#56     Apr 4, 2011

7. Thumbs up !

#57     Apr 4, 2011
  8. RE: Why do 95% of retail traders lose?

One acronym to answer the question: RTTM

#58     Apr 4, 2011
  9. luisHK

luisHK

Are you a shill for weight watcher or do you really make money trading ?

:p

#59     Apr 4, 2011
  10. cornix

cornix

Whatever makes the most money. :D

But if seriously, people tend to look for outside reasons for their failures in many fields, when in reality cause of the failure is often inside, their own lack of practice, lack of discipline, lack of focus et cetera...

#60     Apr 4, 2011