Why Didnt Russia-georgia Battles Have Any Market Impact Today?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by dsq, Aug 9, 2008.

1. dsq

dsq

MAYBE market will have delayed reaction on monday...Seems pretty weird that gold and oil didnt move up on a serious issue.

2. joemiami

joemiami Guest

Wouldnt have any impact on oil prices since russia doesnt have any oil drilling or refineries in Georgia. Now if georgia were to mount some type of surprise attack within Russia against their oil infrastructure; thats a different story. But that wont happen since Georgia has too weak of a military to mount such an offensive. UNLESS georgia were to send "terrorists" trained to do the job.

3. gkishot

gkishot

My guess is the markets will catch up next week.

4. Traders watching the Olympic opening on NBC...missed the news. :D

5. pegasys1

pegasys1

Carry trades came down hard yesterday, and since they are a proxy for risk, that could haver been the reaction. Although equities are slow, and coming down anyway, so yeah, we'll see on monday.

6. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

when the market realized it was'nt Atlanta Georgia,it shrugged everything off.

7. gkishot

gkishot

Carry trade is falling because it is short dollar.

8. did you see the move in the USD friday? My guess is that oil and gold would have been down more friday, if it was not for this mini-war

9. pegasys1

pegasys1

yes, dollar is doomed... until its not anymore, but thats a while off i think

10. No the opposite. The market thought they were talking about Atlanta Georgia, and since nothing was happening on the real ground, it did not care.

On Monday it will realize we are talking the Georgia. Then Oil will go up, and stock market down.

#10     Aug 9, 2008