Why did we stop at down 998 Dow pts?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by FCCT, May 11, 2010.

1. MKTrader

MKTrader

Actually, it was quite the panic from everything I've heard (I barely remember it since I was in high school then). However, I'm sure the Internet would spread the panic much faster these days. 172 peak according to that blog.

#11     May 11, 2010
  2. Specterx

Specterx

Perhaps the market just ran out of sellers.

#12     May 11, 2010
  3. zuccol45

zuccol45

Probably bunch of buying orders waiting at -1000, and those stupid market makers did not want to fill those orders. But, MM were MIA that day, who knows?

#13     May 11, 2010
  4. The idiots who were running the computers and were trying to auto-short everything finally figured out there was a problem when they were getting filled at .01 - and that was when the DOW was -998.

#14     May 11, 2010
  5. There are other halts for 10 min, 15, etc. The day halt is like the 3rd or 4th step.

#15     May 11, 2010
  6. on April 26 the ES hit the 61.8 Retracement of the Oct 07/ Mar 09 decline resulting in
    the end of that rally and the beginning of the decline - to other fibo levels

the question is if the top on the 26 was wave 5, or B of an ABC - now in the process of
    completing C - wave 4, prior to a HH wave 5

#16     May 11, 2010
  7. nxsux

nxsux

#17     May 12, 2010
  8. olias

olias

Perhaps. Or, buying started to pick up, which would lead me to think it was PPT getting involved. I don't think it's likely that there were a bunch of orders waiting in the market to buy down around that price

#18     May 12, 2010
  9. If you wanted to do a proper analysis, you would measure the basis of the index components and the index itself on the 6th...

Something tells me there is nothing "suspicious" about it.

#19     May 12, 2010
  10. 2 matters associated with the drop and speed of:
    first is that there's no common controls of the several markets, this is being discussed
    this week with reps from 'all' countries markets meeting with US markets officials
    second is that while much of the trading today is computer generated, unlike Germany
    for example US market regulation and others still depend on human intervention rather
    than having such regulation - activating slowdowns, pauses, halts being done not by
    human intervention/committee but computer programs

#20     May 12, 2010