Why did the US send so much work overseas?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by noob_trad3r, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Then how come we have record trade deficiets. I am confused by this math.

#41     Sep 15, 2009
  2. Because you are confusing the economic gain of a single outsourced job with the spending patterns of a nation.

Outsourced jobs only make up about 2-3% of the total employment base. If 3% of your investment portfolio had a 20% ROI, while the other 97% was either break even or sitting on a loss, what would your net return look like?

#42     Sep 15, 2009
  3. Sounds like we need to outsource the CEO's and executive boardrooms. If a CEO is making 500 times the average salaried employee, think of the savings!
    Oh - but that might not be good for them, only for the little people jobs.

#43     Sep 15, 2009
  4. That sounds like a great idea. It's only going to make the country MORE money and MORE jobs according to Cache.

#44     Sep 15, 2009
  5. I'll gladly take one of those jobs :)

At a discount, only 150x the avg US salary... way cheaper than 500x. :)

#45     Sep 15, 2009
  6. Oh but what will happen to all the "great talent" if we find someone who will do the job for a lot less? It's going to disappear. You see the problem solves itself!

#46     Sep 15, 2009
  7. logikos

logikos

Maybe so, but it takes a recovery fueled by a new bubble (such as technology and real estate) and cheap, easy credit so that entrepreneurs can start new businesses and begin hiring. But even then, you need a consumer ready and willing to consume, with cheap easy credit for them as well.

With this recession, the countries that are poised to come out of it the strongest are the very ones we've been outsourcing to.

#47     Sep 15, 2009
  8. Again, you make critical comments without providing any evidence to the contrary. Then, to add to it, you take things to the extreme by implying that since I think outsourcing a small number of low-skill jobs benefits us, then it must follow that outsourcing the highest paid jobs would then benefit us exponentially.

Do you know how ridiculous and immature that makes you look?

#48     Sep 15, 2009
  9. This is the only logical argument I've heard yet. Everything else is just political propaganda. Interestingly, the people spreading this political crap are the very people who constantly criticize our g-ment.

Anyway logikos, Your point is well made. I don't agree that it must be that way, but rather that it is that way. This is a result of our populace not willing to accept a severe contraction.

Again, they are only interested in the short-term outcome of a contraction. the same can be said of most on this thread. The negative effects of outsourcing are almost completely short-term, so people scream. All the while those same people claim that outsourcing is damaging in the long-term, without providing any evidence to support the claim.

#49     Sep 15, 2009
  10. Well proof is right in my own backyard. If you're in engineering or sciences you'd realize that those jobs are being outsourced like crazy. The only places it helps in the long run are places like India and China. All we have is consumption and debt those countries produce. I'd rather be in their shoes to be honest. Hell I'll take more work. That's great.

Unless some new technological advancement comes along that we can commercialize big time our country's not going to get better.

Here's a lengthy article and it relates to engineering and science bit it might give you a different perspective on areas that need help.
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_36/b4145036681619.htm

#50     Sep 15, 2009