Why did stocks go up today?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by noob_trad3r, Feb 5, 2009.

1. If I would be "THE BIG BOYS" I would turn market in opposite direction yesterday. For instance, if I happen to know that report is going to be really ugly - I would prop market up yesterday so there will be more sellers today and I can buy things cheaper.
    So I suspect it's going to be ugly. IMHO

#31     Feb 6, 2009
  2. normante

normante

:D , i think it only happen in downjone, bac can dip till 3.8pershare from 44 high pershare. what the hell is going wong?
    will the financial market ever recover?
    or will it like tech bubble in yrs2000, now housing bubble?

kraft will 4th quater lost of 75%, how financial relate to kraft?
    this just total madness.

in my opinion this price went up despite bad news are due to fund manager trying to dispose their share to potential buyer.
    dont quote me if i am wrong,
    just my opinion.
    regard
    normante

#32     Feb 6, 2009
  3. I believe it's absolutely right!

#33     Feb 6, 2009
  4. normante

normante

by the way tech bubble in yrs 2000 had never recover till today date, so will bad bank be the answer to the 2008 housing bubble.?
    answer is interesting
    case number 1; all problem solve if bad bank come in and swallow all bad debt
    question is what measure is the "bad bank"used for all toxic asset, answer is still in question mark...

case 2 ; bad bank fail to take all toxic asset, either due to price offer far from original purchase price, then we will anticipate an new era of great depression of 2008.

#34     Feb 6, 2009
  5. stts

stts

If you grind this market down long enough, ie, all year long, we may be able to get that low. But I just dont see the kind of news in the pipe to do that in the next few months. And for right now, there are just not enough sellers, versus bottom fishing buyers, and not enough shorts available with the market sold off so heavily that few are useing margin to draw borrowed shares from. I frequantly cant get a short fill on NOK because there are no shares available to lend. And it only has a 1% short interest so its not like everybody and their mother is hording the shorts.

We are in a trading range now with lots of little pop rallies to sell off. That will keep juices flowing so we stay off the very dregs of the lows.

And the more time goes by, the more people are going to be glimpsing land in the distance. And this market is forward looking with much anticipation for recovery in the works, even if they dont actually see it.

Thats what I think.

#35     Feb 6, 2009
  6. -598,000
    Geithner speech on Monday regarding new TARP.
    Market looking forward, as usual.
    SPX +14, Coal, steel, and mining stocks continuing to move up strongly.

CNX trading at $32 and up from $26 on Monday.
    Potash now surging to $91.00, up from $72.00 on Monday.

Great market for TRADERS!

:)

#36     Feb 6, 2009
  7. S2007S

S2007S

Are you trying to say that the tech bubble formed in the late 90's and popped in 2000 has finally recovered in 2007-2009????

The answer to that question is NO....

Tech is still recovering from the .com bubble of late 90's, nearly 10 years later there isnt any sign of a recovery in this area, aside from that this crisis is 10000000X bigger than the .com bubble ever was, so my point is this market will take many, many years to recover from this crisis, at least 10-20 years.

#37     Feb 6, 2009
  8. JWathen

JWathen

Lets hope it can hold this strength, its still pretty early in the day...

#38     Feb 6, 2009
  9. S2007S

S2007S

Obama speaking in 40 minutes.

Should move markets.

#39     Feb 6, 2009
  10. gnome

gnome

Will CERTAINLY move some bowels.

#40     Feb 6, 2009