Why Degrees Don't Matter in the Market!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by trader99, Jun 16, 2003.

1. i'm not clueless. you're clueless if you think i am.

#11     Jun 16, 2003
  2. I agree. I also think you have to have a certain hunger for it.

I "think" the better traders have done "what they don't like" for quite some time, and succeed at trading because of it.

I also think that people become traders because of the "cool" lifestyle, until they realize it's more work than imagined

And, finally, I agree that some people (if it is a desire) should go get that degree (MBA, PHD), if it will ramp them up the career curve.

IT IS NOT REQ'D for TRADING; however. Period.

Best,
    david

#12     Jun 16, 2003
  3. i have only failed for the moment. i will not fail in the end.. i'm 25 and i know more about trading than most of you guys think i do. no, i'm not going to get into proving it; i don't care. i know what i know. what you don't realize is, I'M AHEAD OF YOU (most likely). where were you at 25? you guys are out of your mind if you think it's over for me. not even fuckin close.....

#13     Jun 16, 2003
  4. You go buddy!:) , But I would advise get a job after mkt hours, so you DO NOT HAVE TO RELY ON MARKET PROFITS TO PAY YOUR WAY THRU THIS PERIOD/and/or/LIFE.

It will help tremendously.

Now go do it!

Best,
    David

#14     Jun 16, 2003
  5. i agree, dude. i'm gonna have to.

thx :cool:

#15     Jun 16, 2003
  6. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

why not trade while in school? or even better yet, find a paid internship this way you have the best of both worlds??? :confused: in the same vein what if you cannot afford school, what if your parents bordered on the cusp of financial aid and you couldnt receive a dime, however parents didnt even have a dime to put towards college??? in any event, persistance, tenacity and hardwork pay off regardless where you apply it... if you set realistic goals and are determined whether youre an ivy league graduate or a drop you will succeed if you have the above ingredients instilled in you... i think calvin coolidge said it best "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

#16     Jun 17, 2003
  7. Degree = "foot in the door"

Success = Attitude

#17     Jun 17, 2003
  8. gms

gms

You tell 'em Gordon. It took Thomas Edison over 1000 experiments to nail down the electric bulb. When asked about failing 1000 times, he responded, "I didn't fail. I found 1000 ways not to make an electric bulb." And he was older than 25 and had staff to pay.

So you see, some people see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I see it as a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be.

But just remember that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, if it doesn't leave you permanently disabled.

Anyway, Hoenig is just another talking head with a good publicist and a web site. Ever see him up against Gary Smith on some sunday market-talk TV panel show?

#18     Jun 17, 2003
  9. After everyone rides your ass, you will either snap or become the best ever.

#19     Jun 17, 2003
  10. agreed gms!
    the important achievments often go something like:
    fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail,
    fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail,

succeed!

Damn, I gotta quit drinking before bed :D

The correlation between success and college degrees is
    kinda like the correlation between (insert an indicator name
    here) and the market...

#20     Jun 17, 2003