Why cities like Vallejo, CA are going bankrupt!!!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by sunggong, Mar 30, 2008.

1. i think you've missed the point.

it's not really the money that they are making. it's the WAY they are earning them mostly...via overtime.

how many hours do you think they have to work to earn additional 2x their salary numbers via overtime? A guy making $50k but makes additional $100k or more in overtime to make over $150k....

do you really think they are working well over 80 hours per week every single week to do this?

i highly doubt that.

#11     Mar 31, 2008
  2. $265K for a park ranger?

what's the biggest on the job hazard?

step in some gum or beat up a homeless guy?

#12     Mar 31, 2008
  3. MattF

MattF

cheaper to pay them the overtime in most cases, rather then make up the "shortfall" of positions by hiring and filling all of them...because it would most likely in a time like this require that you then have to lay off a bunch; not a popular route to obviously take.

Even if a city actually declares bankruptcy, the state would come in and bail them out in some fashion.

#13     Mar 31, 2008
  4. Tums

Tums

How else can you afford a Californian mortgage ?

#14     Mar 31, 2008
  5. Bootsie

Bootsie

Couldn't agree more... there's no amount of money that could get me to shave my head, drop my personality and loose my sense of self...

B

#15     Apr 1, 2008
  6. Bootsie

Bootsie

I know a cop who does high school dance's, bounces at a bar and does 'special assignment' (walking around the mall) here and there and he pulls well over 130k ... otherwise, he'd be down around 80.

B

#16     Apr 1, 2008