Why chinese mothers are superior.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Jan 10, 2011.

1. I have two thoughts on that article.

The first is, American parents haven't the inclination to raise their children. They won't make the time or have the energy to raise their children.

Driving your kid to hockey practice is not a substitute or qualify as being a good parent.

Secondly, biographies I've read of successful people, often when they were children they had a strict upbringing, not one person said after they were succesful, "I wish my parents hadn't been so strict".

#11     Jan 11, 2011
  2. This lady is guilty of excessive generalization and is greatly trivializing the issue... By going to the other extreme, she's just as silly as the American mothers she's berating.

#12     Jan 11, 2011
  3. We were talking about being a mother -women not a photo model

Case in point; you are raised by an American woman:cool:

#13     Jan 11, 2011
  4. EON Kid

EON Kid

"Koreans believe 4 pass, 5 fail.
    This means if you only sleep for 4 hours and study the rest of the day you will get into a good university, But if you sleep for 5 hours you wont get into a good university because you will fail, this is why they study so strenuously." :eek:

#14     Jan 11, 2011
  5. Ah ... NO! [​IMG]

#15     Jan 11, 2011
  6. GTG

GTG

My impression of the article is that the "Asian Mother" method may be a great way of raising a kid who ends up getting into Medical School someday, but it's not exactly going to raise many captains of industry. Kids who grow up like that learn to please the authority figures (parents, teachers, college admission boards, etc...), but they don't develop the social, leadership, creative thinking skills, or a love of learning. These are the qualities that create the exceptional careers.

#16     Jan 11, 2011
  7. Ricter

Ricter

Anecdote: For any given number of qualified American or Canadian engineers, only one in ten of the Chinese engineers we interview are qualified to start work immediately, and much less than that for Indian engineers.

#17     Jan 11, 2011
  8. Exactly, it's the difference between raising another salaried cog in the machine serf and raising a leader, an entrepreneur, an owner.

#18     Jan 11, 2011
  9. Ricter

Ricter

Well, they are starting to do pretty well cranking out billionaires.

Nothing said here means that China can't catch up.

#19     Jan 11, 2011
  10. They only have 4x our population. Doh.

Another thing, Chinese IN China unencumbured by racial ,societal stereotypes have great social, entrepreneurial skills. American chinese in America do not.

#20     Jan 11, 2011