Why cant IB allow shorting of BTC futures with a margin requirement of 500-1000%?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Daal, Dec 8, 2017.

1. southall

southall

You said that was petterfy's prediction.

#11     Dec 8, 2017
  2. ajacobson

ajacobson

The question kind of answers itself. If enough people don't support it - it's not a "wait and see". It's an I don't want it and given his public pronouncements he doesn't want it. Pretty easy to climb on board if it succeeds at some later date.

I would also hate to have to defend a lawsuit over trading it given his public stand.

#12     Dec 8, 2017
  3. Macca1

Macca1

Sounds like it's going to be retail supporting BTC futures on the long side well instos unload. Seems just as risky letting retail go long. If liquidity drys up then it's going to get very ugly.

#13     Dec 8, 2017
    _eug_ likes this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

Well guys, guess what! Sunday evening ET is your first taste of bitcoin futures, on Cboe! Have fun! Hodl? For teh win?

#14     Dec 8, 2017
  5. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

It's because there's a massive bias to the upside. Shorting cryptocurrencies is risky most of the time.

#15     Dec 9, 2017

6. cmon, selective reporting doesn't become you. fake news!

he also said, it could easily go to 100,000 FIRST

he realizes its a manipulated squeeze in the fashion of the most heinous penny stocks.
    [​IMG]

so do I

#16     Dec 9, 2017
    Humble Investor likes this.
  7. Visaria

Visaria

i wanna join with the longs and squeeeeeeeeze those shorts!

#17     Dec 9, 2017
  8. Will it be possible to go long, though? I wonder when will futures options be offered.

#18     Dec 9, 2017
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

No contradiction. In those 4 years plenty of customers could blow their accounts by trying to short it. What if the ATH comes in 2 years from now? Then the late comers blowing their accounts because they are trying to catch a falling knife?

#19     Dec 9, 2017
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

At least 3 times from memory:

1. 30 to 2
    2. 140 to 76
    3. 1K to 150

If you move your cursor slowly, you can see the historical price changes:

https://www.coindesk.com/price/ (set time frame to All)

Note: These prices are end of day, so it shows 22 in #1 and 230 in #2 cases, but I tend to recall the actual low/high.

#20     Dec 9, 2017